W211 E55k Engine oil level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
What Engine Oil level should the W211 e55 be at when cold, checking via the cluster ?

Thanks.

Hi,
Oil level is via the cluster, it tells you how much to add, check when cold, only add half the amount then retest.

Hi,
Oil level is via the cluster, it tells you how much to add, check when cold, only add half the amount then retest.

Hi andy27168

I was just wondering what the level should read when checked via the cluster with the 3 press reset button method. I read the capacity is 8.5 litres but unsure if the level would read that when cold.

Also you say the OBC should tell one when the level is quite low do you no around which level it should say this.

I got to say a prefer the manual way of checking the oil, with a dipstick.

Last edited:
If you check the actual message will tell you how many litres to add to reach full, it won't tell you how many litres remain.

If you wait for the message to pop up in the display, it will advise adding 1/2ltr or 1ltr when next refuelling depending how low it's got.

As Andy advises add half whatever it suggests and recheck. It can be very bad for the engine and CATs if you over-fill

The handbook actually says ..

"When checking the oil level -

the vehicle must be parked on level ground
with the engine at operating temperature,
the vehicle must have been
stationary for at least 5 minutes with
the engine turned off

with the engine not at operating temperature
yet, the vehicle must have
been stationary for at least 30 minutes
with the engine turned off"

If you check the actual message will tell you how many litres to add to reach full, it won't tell you how many litres remain.

If you wait for the message to pop up in the display, it will advise adding 1/2ltr or 1ltr when next refuelling depending how low it's got.

As Andy advises add half whatever it suggests and recheck. It can be very bad for the engine and CATs if you over-fill

The handbook actually says ..

"When checking the oil level -

the vehicle must be parked on level ground
with the engine at operating temperature,
the vehicle must have been
stationary for at least 5 minutes with
the engine turned off

with the engine not at operating temperature
yet, the vehicle must have
been stationary for at least 30 minutes
with the engine turned off"

I appreciate all the above.

I have checked to car when reached optimum temp with the wait 5 minutes method. Car always states Engine Oil Level ok.

Its via the cluster I checked it using the reset button 3 press method, ignition on turn one, then press the arrow up button then oil level is stated across the cluster. Then turn ignition to step 2 then the level is displayed. I'm curious what the level should read. I would have though around 8 litres or more if the capacity is 8.5 litres. If one gets the oil level ok message when checked via the wait 5 minutes process. :crazy:

8 to 8.5 Litres is correct.

Cheers BlackC55.

Could you tell me roughly at what oil level reading should the cluster recommend adding some oil ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Very true and an increasingly common problem with diesels as the oil level actually goes up over time with the fuel that gets into it.

Won't add any until I get the top up with 0.5 litres message lol.

Have any 55K owners received the top up oil message. I would have thought once it gets about 1 litre low it will trigger the top up message

Yes, I've had the messages a number of times, usually during prolonged high speed motorway driving or when getting close to annual service time.

Had both add 1/2ltr and add 1ltr. Quite often, when checked the following morning the level has been 'OK' and nothing added

Hi,
I have never seen a message pop up in the cluster to top up the oil ever, only when I have checked it and it tells me to add 1 litre, again never seen a half litre warning or even a top up message, its always 1 litre.

Won't add any until I get the top up with 0.5 litres message lol.

Have any 55K owners received the top up oil message. I would have thought once it gets about 1 litre low it will trigger the top up message ��

Yes I had the message pop up once just before my last service. Added 0.5ltr and all was well. Only time I've ever seen it in 13k+ miles and 3+yrs of ownership.

Appreciate your comments chaps.

For an example if checked the oil level when cold and the level read "oil level 7.2L " what would you think. If the capacity says 8L to 8.5L then the cluster should give notice to top up no ??? As that's 1.3 litres short of level capacity.

So I still would like to Know at what low reading oil level ,will the system suggest adding oil.

Purchased a Dipstick suitable for the w211 e55 so will check when receive it.

Ive had the message a good few times on a C55. Have done a few trackdays and santa pod. mind.

Purchased a Dipstick suitable for the w211 e55 so will check when receive it.

If it's like the MB workshop dipstick, it'll have a scale marked on it but you'll need the WIS table to decipher it...

If it's like the MB workshop dipstick, it'll have a scale marked on it but you'll need the WIS table to decipher it...

Fill tolerance is between 137mm -168mm for the E55k Amg.

With my previous inquiry regarding at what oil level reading should the computer advise to add or top up oil it must be below the 137mm level before one gets a message :thumb:

Hi,
I thought all 55k engines had two sumps pans, and no facility for a dipstick eg. no dipstick tube.

According to the WIS doc for the 113.99 engine in the 219 the oil level is checked after filling and warming the engine using the workshop dipstick, giving a mm scale and the quantity of oil to add to the correct level.

So, yes, two sumps both must be drained for a minimum of 5min.

"In order to drain all of the engine oil, the
vehicle must be horizontal and the drain
bores must be left open for at least 5 min.
Any quantity of oil remaining in the engine
will result in an excess amount of oil being
recorded after filling with the specified oil
change quantity, which in turn may result in
damage to the engine and the catalytic
converter."

Thank You Peter,
So what WIS is implying is that when filling the engine from empty that the oil would drain into only one of the sumps otherwise dipping it with the workshop dipstick would be a waste of time as one of the sumps cant be dipped.
This would also mean that using the workshop dipstick at any other time other than filling it from empty could mean it would indicate low as some of the oil could be sat in the other sump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom