W211 E55k tyre load index

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOR8A

Car
W212 E63 PPP AMG
Has anyone done all the hard work on this subject already? It is a proper pain in the backside. The car has no guide to the load index for the tyres. Before I type an essay here......please point me in the correct direction if someone already has all the answers.

Mercedes dealer has told me today that the fromts should be ''93Y'' and the rears should be ''97Y''. Now 97Y seems a bit odd to me as they dont really seem to exist. Could this be part of the problem, and why the Conti's don't have the info on them?????????????????

Many thanks in advance.

I have just bought 4 Conti 3 again for my 211. Now, all my tyres say 97y on them and I can only presume it should be the same for the 55k with maybe a similar front weight as the 320 cdi. Myn are 18 AMG staggered.

Is it not shown in the owners handbook?

Has anyone done all the hard work on this subject already? It is a proper pain in the backside. The car has no guide to the load index for the tyres. Before I type an essay here......please point me in the correct direction if someone already has all the answers.

Mercedes dealer has told me today that the fromts should be ''93Y'' and the rears should be ''97Y''. Now 97Y seems a bit odd to me as they dont really seem to exist. Could this be part of the problem, and why the Conti's don't have the info on them?????????????????

Many thanks in advance.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 and they are 97-XL Y, have also had Dunlop, Conti 3 and Michelin all have 97 Y options

97Y should be fine

:doh: Sorry guys.... I have been a total plank here (this is what happens when posting late with beer in hand....plus mixing up 2 sets of wheels any tyres)

So lets start again......I have the original 18's which are indeed 93Y front and 97Y rear......so that clears that up. Although it does not specify that inside the petrol flap or in the owners manual!

I am running a set of 19's which have ZR rated Conti 5p's. These tyres are not listed with a load index although on closer inspection they do a have a separate listing on the tyre saying that they can take a max load of 710kgs (97Y is 930kgs). I wonder why with Conti are not putting a load index on some of their tyres? It just makes things rather confusing.

I would be interested to see what tyres come on a W212 with 19's....anyone know?

There are plenty of tyres that are 96Y when looking at 19's but none that I could see with 97Y... I wonder why that is? Perhaps I should contact Conti?

Many thanks again guys.

The ZR tyres are the wrong speed rating for an E55, they should have Y rated. many use MO or XL as the reference instead of 97/98 etc.

Just plug your reg into blackcircles and look at the 19' option you should see lots of choice.

The W212 E63 has the same rating for the rears but also 97 for the fronts.

The ZR tyres are the wrong speed rating for an E55, they should have Y rated. many use MO or XL as the reference instead of 97/98 etc.

Just plug your reg into blackcircles and look at the 19' option you should see lots of choice.

The W212 E63 has the same rating for the rears but also 97 for the fronts.

The 18's have MO and the load index listed....the 19's have extra load....when you look at black circles for example, they are listing 96Y for the rear size. See link below.

/ R Tyres Search Results ? Low Tyre Prices | Blackcircles.com

for comparison CLS55 18" sizes and loads:

255/40 18 99Y
285/35 18 101Y

Many thanks in advance.

That's interesting. I need new fronts soon so was outside half an hour ago to check and I have 97Y on the rears and on the fronts currently, which are fine. However, MO is listed against the 93Y on the fronts which I am looking at and will be going for this time.

The thing that seems a bit odd to me is 97Y on the rear and 93Y on the front - I would have thought extra load all round.

:dk:

OK so I now understand it is because of the difference in size that the LI is different.

101Y is extra load on the rear tyre but they aren't made any more.

I presumed 97Y was extra load and 93Y wasn't so probably my bad.

Slightly OT but when you are getting tyres ask them to bring out the same size from different brands and see how they are all different sizes. Some taller some wider but all have the same tyre size on them :dk:

I assumed they'd be exactly the same...

How bizarre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom