W211 E55K & W212 E63 BT PPP, How they compare.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOR8A

Car
W212 E63 PPP AMG
So I will copy below what I wrote after one day of ownership on another thread (to save me typing it all again) and will try to keep adding until I can't find anything else to add.

Well I have only had the car one day so its a bit early to tell all the differences (obviously). The standard E55K was almost silent out of the factory (a very poor choice by merc in my opinion) So I had work done on my old car to make it sound how it should have done to start with. I was very shocked when starting the E63 as to how loud it is on the initial start and warm up phase. The E63 feels more solid on the road, difficult to explain as the E55K was hardly a lightweight but was lighter. The thicker steering wheel is beautiful and feels very meaningful/purposeful. It feels more planted on the road, again perhaps due to weight, but it can't all just be the weight. I guess it's moved on, an evolution, so it should feel more up to date and it does, more sporty, more alert, sharper and this is taking nothing away from the E55K, it was and still is an epic machine for which I have the utmost respect, it will always hold a special place in my heart. I have not fully squeezed the loud pedal yet but it is clearly a more rapid car than my old car (which was no slouch at all). The one thing I never liked about the E55K was the SBC braking system, it did a great job of stopping the car but was noisy and intrusive.

So having now had the car a little while here are some of the other things of note:

The mpg is far better in the new car (hardly a surprise I hear you say) I have found on short journeys (approx 10 mins) its about 19-21 driven gently. The E55K would have been around 13-14 with the same gentle driving.

The ride is far harder in the new car even in comfort mode. The E55K had a much softer and more comfortable and relaxing ride on poor surfaces.

The Gearbox is much much quicker to respond and deliver your gear change needs, but again if your want comfort and more of a relaxing time, The E55K is the better place to be. The lack of torque converter makes the E63 feel way more like an E60 M5 (My brother had one that I drove many many times). Reversing on a hill where space is limited (parking would be a good example) for instance requires more skill and is again less smooth and a bit more jerky, not awful just less smooth. It is clear that the E63 has become more of a Sports focused machine than it was in the W211 generation. The W211 had more of an 'S' Class feel than the W212 when it comes to slow speed driving and manoeuvring.

I liked the Quadzone climate in the E55K which has been replaced with a Trizone effort in the E63, I know its a small point but I just feel a bit cheated, like the have downed my spec to save money. I also really liked the sprung loaded draw in the dashboard of the 55 which there is no replacement for on the 63, I was a deep long draw fantastic for pens and business cards, I miss it.

I like the fact that there is a real spare wheel (albeit a space saver deflated with a compressor) in the 63, way more reassuring that the cans of foam that are carried in the boot of the 55.

Although Pano roof was an option I wanted when looking for a E55K the car I bought did not have it. Being standard fit on the E63 means I got it by default, its a very lovely thing to look at inside and out, and of course I look forward to using it for a bit of wind in the hair action in the summer.

To be continued...........

A couple of other points I have now noticed.

E55K moved the driver's seat backwards as well as the steering wheel up when exiting the vehicle E63 only moves the wheel.

The doors take too long to open when the vehicle is unlocked via the key on the E63 the E55K was instant.

The feature where one could choose the time setting in seconds of the ''see you home lighting'' has been removed and its now just a fixed time.

More removed features, small things but another feeling of being a bit cheated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom