W211 E63 first post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E63 W211
Hi there new member but long time lurker. Decided to finally sign up as have recently bought a new to me W211 E63 although not new to the marque as also have a R230 SL350.

I just thought I’d post to give my general impressions of having the car now for a little over a week. The first thing I can say is wow what a car and what an engine. The description of it basically being a thug in a business suit is not far off the mark. I’ve had quick cars in the past (cira 300bhp) but this is in a whole different league performance wise. The acceleration in the first 3 gears belies belief being a 4 door saloon and if I’m honest is slightly intimidating. If the roads not dry i would not want to use anything more than 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. And speaking of the throttle the movements needed to drive the car are tiny. Almost treating it like an egg being underneath the accelerator would be a fair analogy.

The gearbox while completely satisfactorily is probably the weakest link compared to more modern ones. Although if you realise this limitation and anticipate the gear required slightly earlier than you otherwise would it is totally fine. The only other gotcha is to remember what mode you are in as there is no kick down in manual if you forgot to change down to overtake. I only discovered yesterday as well the onboard tv works as i thought due to the age of the car and the digital switchover it might be obsolete so that was a nice surprise.

I completely love the car and the engine which dominates the entire driving experience. It is my first v8 and now after having one i can’t see me parting with it. I honestly think that everyone needs to experience one at some point in their life and is certainly a bucket list item for me.

I have no plans to modify it as I think it’s bonkers enough and just to enjoy it.

Anyway i look forward to reading other peoples experiences with there’s as well as R230 SL.

Many thanks

Hello and welcome to you! You're right V8 power is the way forward. Glad you're enjoying the car, it was on my list but thought I'm not old enough for an e class yet ;).

The acceleration on these AMG's is brutal and provides a real thrill to the driver, just got to be careful you don't lose your licence as it does egg you on to go faster and faster.

There's no replacement for displacement.

Also post some pics when you have a chance, everyone loves looking at a fast merc.

Welcome from another V8 lover

Welcome to the forum.
As said, you have to love a Mercedes V8 and it's wonderful soundtrack.

Thanks guys!

I’ll post some pictures up when I get a chance. Although I don’t think I can take one more joke about starting a chauffeur/taxi/wedding car business and having to explain its not a 280 cdi!

Good choice, looks and power are mental in the e63, enjoy!

Two really nice motors!! :D

Congratulations they look stunning cars. :thumb:

Here you go buddy :

748-D69-B2-1210-4-F28-AC6-A-0-E980559-B4-D2.jpg

D65-C160-A-C9-B5-4310-8-E1-F-CF0-EF8734376.jpg

3-F24-DABE-22-BC-4-D8-D-9-ED7-698-D7538711-C.jpg

Lovely cars !

I do quite like the SUPER undercover look of a W211 E63....which essentially has a, pretty much never to be seen again, high output, large capacity, normally aspirated engine.

If people think its a taxi, wedding car etc so be it.... If they don't know what it is, they don't need to be educated as to what it is. (does that make sense ?)

Pick someone up as a Taxi, and give them the Taxi ride of there lives! :D

Congratulations enjoy that epic V8!

Gents

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to turn off the feature whereby at low speed the car illuminates the fog light corresponding to the direction the wheel is turned? For some reason I find it slightly annoying...

Gents

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to turn off the feature whereby at low speed the car illuminates the fog light corresponding to the direction the wheel is turned? For some reason I find it slightly annoying...

You can disable this feature via Star or Snap On diagnostic machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom