W211 E63 opinions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You described your 330d as 'very fast', but if it takes 5.5 seconds to 60, it's well behind an E55K or an E63...

It’s obviously not going to win at the traffic lights but as a diesel, it’s bloomin good and between 40mph and 70mph with the torque it has, it can hold its own with most..

To answer your original question - looks like you’ve already got knowledge of the common faults.

I’m with you on the looks as well, I think the facelift W211 is a better looking car than the earlier model but that’s personal opinion.

The big difference for me is that I prefer the nature of forced induction - the problem I have with N/A is that it never *feels* as fast as FI even though it is and in the case of the 6.2 v 5.4k it’s meant to actually be faster as standard.

You can also pick up a W212 6.2 for not much more than the W211 6.2 so that’s another choice you’ll have to make.

And if your budget is £20k, you’re very close to the Bi-Turbo W212 AMG as well - there’s a 2012 with 60k miles on autotrader for £21k...

It’s obviously not going to win at the traffic lights but as a diesel, it’s bloomin good and between 40mph and 70mph with the torque it has, it can hold its own with most..

Agreed with all of that, but once you've driven an E55K, you'll understand; different league... If you can stretch to a W212 5.5 biturbo, that feels like another league again... and plenty of 'noise' too, though calling it that brings to mind kids with baseball caps on backwards in little farty hatchbacks with dustbin exhausts.

You can easily modify the exhaust on a 55K, or a 63, to release more of the V8 exhaust note, and there are plenty of already-modified cars around as well. Drive a couple and see what you think; I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:
An E55K will absolutely destroy a 330d like the 330d is standing still.

Have you driven one of the newer 330d’s? I think you would be quite surprised.
To answer your original question - looks like you’ve already got knowledge of the common faults.

I’m with you on the looks as well, I think the facelift W211 is a better looking car than the earlier model but that’s personal opinion.

The big difference for me is that I prefer the nature of forced induction - the problem I have with N/A is that it never *feels* as fast as FI even though it is and in the case of the 6.2 v 5.4k it’s meant to actually be faster as standard.

You can also pick up a W212 6.2 for not much more than the W211 6.2 so that’s another choice you’ll have to make.

And if your budget is £20k, you’re very close to the Bi-Turbo W212 AMG as well - there’s a 2012 with 60k miles on autotrader for £21k...

My budget is a maximum of £15k. I may well consider the CLS55/63 as well, it’s just finding one that’s been well maintained and hasn’t been thrashed, the joys of buying a used car..

John pretty much Compared every car out there with his e55k lol, honestly 0-60 is quick but 100 plus is summit else Rotfl “on that private” airfield of course.

Personally I prefer the 63. The 55's engine is brilliant no doubt but I prefer the rev happy nature of the M156 and the looks of the later model. All depends on your preferences and driving style etc.

Oh and if you think 40 to 70 is fast in a 330d (they are impressive i'll give you that) take a e55k for a spin and try the same, MIND WILL BE BLOWN. The torque spread is frankly ridiculous. The E63 would would have a harder time for about a second until it clears its lungs and hits higher revs.

Drive both and see what you like; if you prefer chasing revs go for the 63, if you want a massive turbo like hit that'll pin you to your seat then 55 it is. :) Keep a bit in the kitty for consumables for whichever car you buy... they're at that age when niggles may be present and perishables may well need replacing. Good luck with the hunt.

Edit: as above, triple digits and above they come into their own...

Supercharger not turbo ;)

Have you driven one of the newer 330d’s? I think you would be quite surprised.

I haven't and I've no doubt in it's own right it's a great performer and is very quick on the **** dyno - but you cannot even begin to compare them.

Yes, I did have the odd run in with other stuff when mine was standard.

My neighbour has a late noughties Z4 3.0i running at 265BHP. My guess is this is fairly close to the performance of a newer 330d.

We had a play out from the blocks when I happened to run up next to him a few years ago - and I absolutely nailed it's ass to the wall.

I would definitely recommend you try one although it must be a properly sorted one with a working IC pump.

Urm well as someone who has owned a 330d m sport, a 535d m sport and an E63S I can categorically state that the AMG would totally wipe the floor with either Beemer. No contest. Not even close. No way Jose. You’d be dreaming to think otherwise. The E63S is a frigging hooligan. Sorry to shatter your illusion but real world there is a mahoosive difference. If you thought the 330d was big on torque, man, the E63S is just another ruddy planet completely. Anyway, in summary you should try an AMG :)

When you get up to 55K and beyond levels of performance, real-world driving differences are minimal. You need to try one to appreciate what serious power is like. A 330d just isn't in the same league.

You need to get out and see/drive them in person. The 55k is popular on here for very good reason.

Both will make you mince your words on the 3 series.

My supercharged M3 was a damn sight (light years) quicker than a 330d and the 55k in stock form is v impressive compared. Tuned, I can't imagine how they go - but will find out soon ;).

We need to drop the 55 option/discussion, he is clearly not going down that route.

The suspension components are the same as a E55. Just find a E63 with no suspension faults. Replace suspension parts when they fail.

I bought my E63 just over a year ago now. It's my third 211 estate, though my first V8. It's the best of all that I've driven, though I never tried an E55. The gearbox is superb and the airmatic makes the ride and the handling so much better than the others. I was lucky to find a lower mileage example which is in excellent condition. If you want to ask me anything about it, feel free.

We need to drop the 55 option/discussion, he is clearly not going down that route.

Really? Or maybe...

My budget is a maximum of £15k. I may well consider the CLS55/63 as well, it’s just finding one that’s been well maintained and hasn’t been thrashed, the joys of buying a used car..

I agree we've done the 55k/63 comparison to death, but whatever model they're in, they're closely matched on performance but with very different driving characteristics. I have a sneaking suspicion that if the OP really likes the torque of his 330d, he might prefer the 55K engine to the 63.

RSTurbo50, one thing I can guarantee is that whichever you drive first, you WILL want it, so best start with one that has the looks you want...

Last edited:
I had a big drive in both before I decided (both estates).. I loved the E63, smooth, very civilised and yes, I too preferred the look, only sligthy . The E55 though was what I was after, very similar to the 63, but the power delivery was much more exciting and fun. The final point is price, at the time I bought mine there the E63 was £8k more..Ended up with e55, still go it 5yrs on !

Ok I’m at risk of getting flamed here but have you considered a 535d M sport? I went from 330d m sport to a 535d m sport and labelled it the best car I’d ever had at that time?
W

I foolishly sold my S211 and, after a few divertissements (W221), seriously considered a 330i before settling, cautiously with a 535d. (Still not quite convinced on diesels).

My question for the OP is why such a big jump in size from the fabulous 330i ? You're taking on a lot more bulk and weight.

Nearly twenty years ago I went from 330's to a W210 E55 and hated it. Too big, too heavy, horrible 20 inch wheels combined with sports suspension. Thump, crash, and a real struggle to get it to rev up into it's sweet zone. (It's comfortably illegal speeds by then)

So, to judge the move, what is it you're trying to achieve?

I foolishly sold my S211 and, after a few divertissements (W221), seriously considered a 330i before settling, cautiously with a 535d. (Still not quite convinced on diesels).

My question for the OP is why such a big jump in size from the fabulous 330i ? You're taking on a lot more bulk and weight.

Nearly twenty years ago I went from 330's to a W210 E55 and hated it. Too big, too heavy, horrible 20 inch wheels combined with sports suspension. Thump, crash, and a real struggle to get it to rev up into it's sweet zone. (It's comfortably illegal speeds by then)

So, to judge the move, what is it you're trying to achieve?

What wheels were you running on your E55? Both the 210 and 211 runs 18” as standard.

I’ve always thought the 210 and 211 rode pretty well, the larger chassis soaking up the bumps better than most smaller cars (3-series/C-class etc)

And weren’t BMW of this era always known for a crashy ride. RFT and mostly on sport suspension type setups with low profile tyres?

If he’s looking at a 211 (‘55 or ‘63) it will be on full Airmatic anyway, which should be like a magic carpet compared to a steel sprung 3-series :thumb:

In fairness guys iv not driven either an E55k or E63. Im not all that bothered about which model is quicker, I suppose they are both going to be pretty similar. I had a C55 a few years ago and really did like that car but I do get bored quite easy and have my cars generally no more than 12 months. Iv always liked the looks of the W211, especially the later facelift model. The worrying thing is both cars are getting on now and its finding one that has been looked after, not thrashed everyday and isnt going to be a constant money pit. As I said the 330d M Sport is a class all rounder, its modern, frugal, has loads of torque, its comfortable and in Estoril Blue it looks superb. So you maybe asking why I would give all that up for a much older car? Well in fairness, Iv always wanted to scratch the E55k/E63 itch. I know they are rubbish on fuel and I know im going to have to have a spare £2k or so in the bank for repairs. But I do think I am willing to take the chance. I think I am swaying towards an E63/CLS63 for under £15k. I am concerned about the headbolt issue but I dont think its as big a problem as some may make out. Discs and pads are expensive so ideally id look for one that has had these replaced fairly recently. Road Tax is high I know......so all in all im still keen to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom