W211 ESP & ABS error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benm

I have a 2004 e220cdi with an ESP/ABS problem.

Read back the fault codes which indicated a faulty right front speed sensor so replaced that with no improvement. Then replaced the wheel bearing with new seal (abs magnets) and again problem still exists.

Upon startup no warning lights but drive 100m above 10mph and three errors shown: ESP defect, ABS defect, Service brake - visit workshop.

Error codes:
Trans module 2404 - No CAN from N47-5 (ESP module)
ESP module 44AF - L6/2 right front speed sensor
SBC module C2452 - L6/2 right front speed sensor

I then monitored the wheel speed actual values and they all look fine. All similar driving straight and vary slightly when turning. The fact that the wheel speeds are correct indicates the problem is not with the sensor, hub seal or wiring?

Any ideas on what to try/check next?

During diagnosis are the wheel speeds read from the SBC? Could there may be a communication or wiring issue between the SBC and ESP modules?

Took car to Mercedes for further diagnosis and in the limited time it was there they could identify no more than the right front speed sensor error I had seen. We tried swapping the sensor again with no success.

did you replace the whole wheel bearing hub , or just the seal ??? also what gap is there between the seal face and the sensor face ?? compare it with other side and make the same by adjusting the end float locking nut .

Brake light switch maybe?

No I only replaced the wheel bearing.
The issue was present before replacing the bearing and seal and the old one that came out looked fine. Did notice that the brake dust shield was holed and rusting around spindle so cleaned that up as best as could.
I would have thought if there was a problem with sensor/seal then the wheel speed reading would be incorrect or not present?

Part of the diagnosis checked the brake switch and that changed state correctly when monitoring the ESP module but not the SBC? I am only using a cheap hand held scanner so did not read too much into that. The fact it changed state correctly when pressing the brake pedal indicates the switch is OK.

Tried a replacement ESP module and no difference.
All 3 errors appear simultaneously after driving 100m. Buzzed out CAN wiring between ETC and ESP modules and OK.
Thinking of swapping wiring for front left and right speed sensors to see if error switches from right to left sensor.

​​​​​​​Does anyone have a pinout for the ESP module?

Swapped the front hubs over and working so far!
Noticed magnetic seal on right hub was not perfectly flat.
Wonder if it was causing signal to drop out? Although wheel speed readings on scanner looked stable.

Will monitor it and if error reoccur will replace seal.

it doesnt take much tbh. hopefully you got sorted. :thumb:

Swapped the front hubs over and working so far!
Noticed magnetic seal on right hub was not perfectly flat.
Wonder if it was causing signal to drop out? Although wheel speed readings on scanner looked stable.

Will monitor it and if error reoccur will replace seal.
im having same issue on my 2003 E55 I did the Sensor no change but did have drop out, I then did the Bearings and seal on L/F where the codes were coming from and speeds look good now no drop out, Did you just swap hubs from Left to Right and took care of issue?? I used all dealer parts too. Please LMK killing me with no Tracking control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom