W211 Estate - Car Too Low - Pump runs for only 10 secs when car is started

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

datripsta

Car
E320 CDI ( S210 & S211 )
W211 Estate 2003 airmatic front and rear - Car Too Low - Pump runs for only 10 secs when car is started.

Car dropped almost to bump stops at rear and wont rise. Front is fine. Both sides dropped to same level. I did find the pump connector wasn't in great shape but thats now good. Pump looks new - not a trace of dirt on it.

Garage is saying a leak but I had no issues prior to this. The car dropped as I pulled into my drive from a bumpy lane and small dropped kerb.

Errors shown on daig is saying pressure can not be achieved fast enough and reservoir pressure low.. Previous to sorting out plug at pump there was a communication error with pump which is now cleared.

Is there a way to bypass the pump relay to run the pump, would this allow the valve body to let air into the rears or would I need to do it with STAR and open valves then run pump.

I have star but its over 100 miles away right now.

Ideally don't want to be paying garage rates to take all the trim off and find leaks when I can do that side myself. I'll start from pump and work back.

Previous owner had Arnott replacements all round so only about 2 years old. Are the air reservoirs still needed as I read these art not needed with Arnott rear struts ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Update

So I've had time to look at the car. I've checked all I can without air in rear bags or ability to get air in rear bags.

Pump runs when relay is bypassed.

Trigger pins on relay putting out 2.8v with engine running and constant live pins output 14v (12v at ignition on )

Front is not affected but does bit rise or drop with any option button pressed.

Cleared dtcs, pump ran for a lot longer but no rise in suspension red error within 10 secs.

Is 2v correct for trigger pins ?

Changed relay again for new hella relay

Dug out 40amp fuse in foot well. Changed for new. No changed.

Checked every fuse in car, no change

Rear suspension level sensor ( I guess this is for level sensing ? Says central sensor on scanner ) 0.84v and doesn't change when I drive only drove a few hundred meters. Other sensors voltage change with bumps in road.

No chafing on pump wires or air pipes no leaks found on pump or valve body

Same error pressure not reached fast enough and pressure at resivoir not reached fast enough but states no leak in brackets on my scanner.

Looks like either 2v isn't enough and something is retarding the system from working ( running pump and valve body ) or the pump isn't outputting enough pressure and that's putting system into shutdown.

I'd appreciate anyone with airmatic experience to qualify my thinking that I should try a piston repair kit on pump.

Is there anyway to operate valve body without star as my kit is along way from where I am just now. I'd like to get some air in the rear so I can leak test

TIA

STAR would be the best option, you inflate and deflate each corner at a touch of a button.

Get it hooked up to STAR to run a diagnostic test and that will helpfully tell you the issue.

Thanks guys. I know STAR is the tool but it wont be here for a few more days so going to try what I can. frustrating without it.

With that in mind I took a further look and I think I may have found the problem.

I went at the pump again today. Its a no brand replacement. Managed to get to check the pipe the filter is connected to. Ran engine, pump starts about 5 secs after engine start. Air is being pumped out of the pipe the filter is connected to. I've read this can be an exhaust for pressure release but its not pulling any air ( no vacuum ).

I took pump out of the car and took pump apart. Dryer section is clean like new but the little rubber triangle piece that sits over the hole where the piston would pump air into the dryer was stuck solid to the side. It has a little metal ring on it that looked like it should be a mounting piece for a spring. Checked google and sure enough there should be a spring. Lots of rubber dust in the opening and around the top dryer filter but not enough to block air flow.

Took out safety solenoid and all looked ok, took out the value thats under the big plastic end cap and the bottom O ring was all messed up so again not right.

My guess is the air couldn't flow due to the spring missing. The dryer was full of same stuff Ive got in my rebuild kit, I dont know if this is normal or not. I've seen pics of what comes out of original Webco and its very is different material from new. Maybe this was the previous owner messing up a rebuild.

Regardless a spring is needed.

I located a 2 yr old Webco pump for a reasonable price on fleebay and picked it up tonight. I'll be fitting it in the morning and will let you know if it sorts it or not.

After looking at the inside of pump I am wondering how it worked at all. I've not had the car that long and it went bad after 6 weeks of buying. No issues at all in those 6 weeks.

I guess the question is if it is normal for the pump to be blowing air out the filter pipe constantly. Its defo not 160psi ! its not very powerful I can block it with my thumb no problem. I cant see any other way air gets into the system so it seems wrong for it to be lowing out constantly. acid test is tomorrow morning.

Aslo had to re solder one wire going to the solenoid as it was done badly before which I guess was when the pump was changed. To be fair the wires dont have much slack.

Got half a hope this is the issue but now worried crap has gotten past the dryer and filter and blocked the valve body.

If the pump isnt the issue then its not long to waif for my start to turn up and the pump would have probably gone wonky at some point anyway so nothing lost changing it for a Webco with new piston and dryer granules.

fixed - works better than it has since I owned the car. After sorting the dodge soldering in the solenoid wires my dynamic sets work again so a big bonus. No idea why that would be the case but they work. Could be where I resat all fuses in pre fuse box in RH footwell ?

Still gonna give the airmatic system a once over once my MUX makes it here.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom