W211 Estate - fitting subwoofer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan1w

The harmon cordon subs for the estate are pretty reasonably priced on ebay, certainly a lot cheaper than the sub upgrade for my old 9-5.

Is it possible to fit these on to a vehicle with comand or is there more to the system than just adding a sub? Any alternative ways of doing this without taking up any boot space directly behind the seats?

Cheers,

Dan

You'd need to amplify it.

If it was me I'd go aftermarket but use the stock location. Maybe buy a spare trim piece (the rearmost carpeted vertical panel in the boot, has a vent on the top (see link in post below), reinforce the back of it with MDF and cut a circle in, mount the sub.

You can take a high level signal from the Audio Gateway which is near the passenger rear wheelarch behind the trim. Well, thats where the Audio Gateway is on the Saloon anyway.

I am assuming your car is 2008 or older. Some newer cars didnt have the Audio Gateway.

Search threads on here about adding subs to W211 and you'll find the answers. I had a E500 saloon and put an aftermarket sub in the stock location (parcel shelf on the saloon).

Last edited:
Cheers guys. Glad it seems a lot simpler than on the Saab, can all the wiring including amp be done in the boot? If so that would be very handy.

I installed a sub in my previous W211 with AGW and all the wiring was done in the boot.

Personally, I would fit your own sub as the Harman Kardon ones are a bit crap.

You could buy an active sub in it's own box. I tried this but I struggled to get enough bass into the cabin - but that is because it was a saloon.

Someone else on here who recommended it fitted it in their estate and were happy with it.

However, I seem to remember them saying if they did it again, they'd have just installed an inline amp and replaced the speakers rather than adding a sub I think.

Down to what you prefer - I wanted a sub in mine because I wanted that bottom range to be emphasised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom