W211 estate rear end sinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
I think mine has air suspension at the rear end. I've noticed that it sinks when parked up. Is this normal or a sign of trouble to come?

Yep, all E Class estates have self leveling suspension.

The 211, as you say, uses air. If it lowers on both sides equally then it will not be the bags but a valve common to both sides.

I think its sinking on the OS.

Should it sink at all if all is as it should be?

I had the rear airsprings replaced on mine last year. There is a difference in replacement parts between full airmatic and rear only airmatic. The full airmatic has an extra bit sticking out which requires the subframe to be dropped. MB do sell cheaper, re-manufactured airsprings, and Arnott Industries make replacement parts also. I bought the MB ones, as the Arnotts didn't look like for like, not having the sticky out bit (forgive the technical jargon), so I bought a pair, as the subframe had to come down.

If you leave the job too long, the compressor may pack up as it is constantly working to keep the spring pumped up. There have been a few threads here about this job, so have a search to find more useful info, as I think the Arnotts may be compatible regardless of the sticky out bit. Good luck.

Mirror Man,
Before your blood pressure gets too high with the thought of replacing Air Suspension parts ...Have you got Air Suspension on your car ?
You have an Elegance on 16" Wheels, Air Suspension was generally an optional extra normally on the Avantgarde Models.
So I checked your previous posts and believe you have this vehicle ...
........Identification number: WDB2112162A714796 5.....
From your Vin Number on the 19th March, you were given the Data Card Information ( courtesy Markjay ), and this shows no mention of any Air Suspension on your car.
As a quick check have you got..... Normal / Sport 1 / Sport 2 modes on a button at the base of the gear selector, and another button next to it, to raise the car upwards 25mm.
If not ...then you do not have Air Suspension.
However, it is right to say that all the Estates have Self Levelling Suspension, which is a different ball game and also lots cheaper to fix than Air Suspension.
May I suggest, in the nicest possible way, that you check to see if you have Air Suspension or not.
If not,.....we can start again and go down a different route to fixing it. Cheaper route !

Steve

Mirror Man,
Before your blood pressure gets too high with the thought of replacing Air Suspension parts ...Have you got Air Suspension on your car ?
You have an Elegance on 16" Wheels, Air Suspension was generally an optional extra normally on the Avantgarde Models.
So I checked your previous posts and believe you have this vehicle ...
........Identification number: WDB2112162A714796 5.....
From your Vin Number on the 19th March, you were given the Data Card Information ( courtesy Markjay ), and this shows no mention of any Air Suspension on your car.
As a quick check have you got..... Normal / Sport 1 / Sport 2 modes on a button at the base of the gear selector, and another button next to it, to raise the car upwards 25mm.
If not ...then you do not have Air Suspension.
However, it is right to say that all the Estates have Self Levelling Suspension, which is a different ball game and also lots cheaper to fix than Air Suspension.
May I suggest, in the nicest possible way, that you check to see if you have Air Suspension or not.
If not,.....we can start again and go down a different route to fixing it. Cheaper route !

Steve

Hi Steve,
The only button I have a the bottom of the gear selector is C/S, not sport 1,2 or 3. A quick look under the rear of the car and I can see a conventional shock absorber, and inboard of that, a black plastic concertinaed cylinder about 5" diameter.

Is that not air suspension?

And thank you Steve for digging up the old post for me.

Jonathan

Last edited:
Jonathan ,
All I have done is to confirm that you do not have the full Airmatic Air Suspension on your car. In fact, I should have read things properly because there was no need. Was jumping to conclusions that were not relevant.. sorry about that.. it has been a bad day.
Anyway before you go about replacing bellows / air bags. there are levelling sensors that can fail, do you have any notification on the dash? Might need a star session to pinpoint the problem rather than replace parts on spec.
Time for reflection and a small Brugal Extra Viejo....or two

Steve

Jonathan ,
All I have done is to confirm that you do not have the full Airmatic Air Suspension on your car. In fact, I should have read things properly because there was no need. Was jumping to conclusions that were not relevant.. sorry about that.. it has been a bad day.
Anyway before you go about replacing bellows / air bags. there are levelling sensors that can fail, do you have any notification on the dash? Might need a star session to pinpoint the problem rather than replace parts on spec.
Time for reflection and a small Brugal Extra Viejo....or two

Steve

No Messages on the dash Steve, I'm going to take care to park on level ground from now on and keep an eye on things pre and post starting the engine when it's been parked up over night.

All of my E Class estates (2 x 211 and 2 x 212) have "sunk" a little when stationary, however, one of the 212's had it's rear shocks replaced under warranty as it was more than the normal expected.

Hello mate I've got a w211 estate self levelling suspension no extra buttons inside car or anything. I hate to be the barer of bad news but I've had the car lowering intermittently for a several weeks. Mine started by just one day seeing the nearside on its back side as if it had been seriously lowered. This was noticeable on one side causing the car to like lift to the nearside. I had it on a star machine and it said sensor fault. Guess what I had the sensor replaced. Then straight after exact same problem. I was told by another mechanic that the sensor would indicate if the car was not at the right level. Don't get me wrong these do fail and they are by far he cheapest of all components. I then took it to someone else who diagnosed to airbags at the rear. I wasn't happy with that as it was costly nearly £900 fitted. So I went to another Indy not going to mention names but based in Doncaster and is a joke. Anyway he said over the phone, it won't be airbags it'll be a leak. I thought I'd save a few quid and have him look at it. He then said it's a compressor fault. Compressor now changed which is about £309 to buy. The car is exactly the same, although the it now raises slightly quicker. Took it back to same Indy and he said that it's now the airbag. He quoted me £540 for the part from MB. But I wasn't paying that so I've got an Arnott one from Euro car parts for £325. At this stage I've bought that and I'm going to get someone to fit it for me. Anyone near doncaster that wants to job shout up now???

Anyway that is my last 4 weeks and I reaalky hope it's the sensor for you. Please get he right diagnosis unlike me. I'll update next week then an answer.

Last edited:
Hi,

If the car is sinking on one side more than another then is it likely to be an airline leak or a suspension unit leak rather than a compressor failure.

I have replaced the air suspension units on an S212 with self levelling rear suspension. I used non-Mercedes parts as they were far cheaper than the genuine part.
The suspension units are slightly different between the S211 and S212 but the job looks much the same.
It is a DIY job if you have the tools and inclination.
I would suggest that you need to replace both sides if you are not using a genuine Merc part. The non-Merc part on one side will have different suspension characteristics to the other side.

I note the last reply, has anyone had experience of fitting an arnott air spring to one side only. The reason I say it is because I'm burning money but with that last comment you've got me thinking now. I've looked on other sites and some people said they have had no problems but I also note it says change both on their website. Thanks

The Arnotts work slightly differently - I believe they do away with those little alloy air tanks and have an in-built valve instead. They are very adamant that you should only fit in pairs. On the subject, those alloy tanks are known to corrode and leak air where the hose goes in, def something to check with soapy water!

You can get the Arnotts much cheaper on eBay btw

Hi,

I think the little alloy tanks are only on cars with full airmatic.
The OPs car only has self levelling rear suspension as is standard on all estates. I don't think the S211 has the alloy tanks and I know for sure that the S212 estate doesn't. Remove the rear wheel and look at the current setup. Mine only has a single pipe going to it. It is the compressed air supply from the valve block. If you look at the web sites for the suppliers listed below you will see the difference - without ADS on the Aerosus site is the one for the standard SLS estates.

I have also read that they should be replaced in pairs. I did replace both mine on the S212 but it was sinking on both sides so it was an easy decision.
I used Aerosus units, Miessler are another supplier. Arnotts would not supply direct and looked expensive (but still cheaper then the MB part).
I would be nervous that the car's handling would be affected with an Arnott on one side and the original on the other.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help I will have a look.im still in two minds whether to just purchase another one or whether to try it and then if there's an issue early doors, my decision is made, buy another. Or if it's ok I'll get one in a couple of months so I don't feel the horrendous pinch I'm feeling right now. Thanks

Hi,

I think the little alloy tanks are only on cars with full airmatic.
The OPs car only has self levelling rear suspension as is standard on all estates.

These were the bits I was referring to on mine, which has full airmatic. The MB remanufactured airsprings for mine were about £400 each, net of the refundable surcharge.

Just to post an update. I changed 1 Arnott airbag last week and most guessed right the car was lower by 20mm on one side and there was a warning on dash. Basically there's a sensor inside genuine merc airbags which sends the sensor message. I have now fitted the other Arnott airbag and the car is level and there are no lights on the dash so it's win win.

Good to hear you got your fixed E Class Magic. My car is sinking on the OSR. Not so much on the NSR. As soon as I start the engine the rear end rises to the normal height.
Will it be okay to keep using the car like this indefinately? It rides fine on the road.:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom