W211 Facelift - Can't use compartment under Radio if OEM Head unit is replaced?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym2

Car
E220 CDI Estate
I've got an '08 W211 with the basic single CD/Radio that I'm looking to replace with a 2 Din Nav unit, maybe a Pioneer AVIC-F30BT.

Pioneer list a model specific fascia kit, but the instructions here...

http://www.pioneer.eu/files/eur/car_acc_db/fascia_plate/391190-28.pdf

... say that the compartment under the radio can't be used if the OEM Head unit is replaced.

Does anyone know why this is the case? Is it because it's got a powered door and uses a connection to the OEM unit to open/close it, or is it because there's not enough clearance for it to work with a 2 DIN unit fitted?

Timskemp, a forum member on this forum, put an aftermarket double din head unit in his W211.

Try doing a forum search for the threads he started because he may have done a how-to.

For whatever reason, the powered door doesn't work if you remove the OEM headunit from the circuit.

Dave, my installer, hid the COMAND unit under one of the trim panels so that the rest of the car thought it was still present, and so the door still works (I changed the CD changer for the storage pocket you get instead, and the iPod lives in there).

I believe it is the MOST circuit that is the issue, but would need to confirm exactly what was done on my car (amongst all the other installation work). There should be plenty of space in the LHS of the boot for the unit, where the navigation drive normally lives.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For those who care, its because the Audio-gateway is responsible for telling the compartment to open - this is so that the compartment will open if the user tells the COMAND/Audio-20 to eject CDs from the changer. The Audio gateway is in the Audio-20.

R

I know this is an old post but I would also like the wiring diagram for the switch please. [email protected]

I replaced my COMAND Nav with the AVIC8000-NEX from Pioneer and would like to use the cd changer space as storage. Thanks in advanced.

Search on the US forums, I've seen it posted in numerous places over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom