W211 Facelift Xenon Ballast - alternative cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gavmack

Car
Hire car
Hi everyone

After a Xmas Xenon nightmare with the nearside gone and the offside failing on my E220CDI 2007 facelift I've had the offside bulb changed and after swapping holders bulbs I'm pretty sure that after a quick high voltage circuit test on Monday its the nearside ballast that's gone kaput.

After ringing MB up and being told that the new part is £378 (!) which for someone experienced in electronics for in essence a 12v to 1100v transformer in a box with a connector is utterly outrageous.

So therefore since I've been hunting on ebay for a used replacement and spoke to a MB guy who is since gone abroad for a fortnight and a breaker I have been told that other makes and models of cars with Xenon's fitted share exactly the same ballast part.

For example on ebay used the W211 part goes on eBay for around £130

Xenon Headlight Ballast Control Unit Mercedes E-Klasse W211 5DC009060-00 | eBay

A Porsche Cayenne ballast looks almost identical and is £65, I could buy two in case the offside fails like the nearside has after changing its bulb.

HELLA 5DC 009 060-30 AK AL Xenon Steuergerät AFS-GDL Porsche Cayenne Panamera | eBay

So I was wondering if any of you members knew of any other vehicles which share the same part please? Would be happy to return the compliment with what I'm good at - PC's, Mac's and iOS devices which are my trade ;-)

Thanks

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 9
  • cayenne.JPG
    cayenne.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 8
A ballast is a ballast, doesn't matter what car it's for...so get the cheapest you can. MB still think Xenon are rare.

The Cayenne Hella part number is slightly different makes me wonder maybe not. So looked up the part on the hella website using my reg number. The Hella part is 5DC 009 060-011 for AFS curve lights and it's a slightly more palatable cost of £213 new delivered. Still outrageous for a bill of materials with the enclosure, components and PCB probably amounting to about £30! Not only robbers wear masks ;o)

Just thrown out a text to my cousin who works in car manufacturing in the midlands to see if he can get a better trade rate off Hella than I can. Think the headlamp will have to come out Monday to make sure its the right one though.

I'll keep looking a google image search of the ballast brings up all sorts of cars. Mine being a curve light component I'm inclining to go for new though.

The Cayenne Hella part number is slightly different makes me wonder maybe not. So looked up the part on the hella website using my reg number. The Hella part is 5DC 009 060-011 for AFS curve lights and it's a slightly more palatable cost of £213 new delivered. Still outrageous for a bill of materials with the enclosure, components and PCB probably amounting to about £30! Not only robbers wear masks ;o)

Just thrown out a text to my cousin who works in car manufacturing in the midlands to see if he can get a better trade rate off Hella than I can. Think the headlamp will have to come out Monday to make sure its the right one though.

I'll keep looking a google image search of the ballast brings up all sorts of cars. Mine being a curve light component I'm inclining to go for new though.

Given that all Xenons are all 35w bulbs...why do you think a different ballast is required for different cars...when the bulbs can be used in any car??

Wow! 2 for a tenner or one for £147 :eek:

The ballast on the facelift fits underneath the headlamp unit, I used a telescopic mirror and saw it's the same as the attachment I've just uploaded but without whipping it out I can't confirm the Hella part number matches till Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_5092.jpg
    IMG_5092.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 15
Looks exactly like the ones for SAAB 95 - I used to pick up good used ones for £50 of off ebay...

Given that all Xenons are all 35w bulbs...why do you think a different ballast is required for different cars...when the bulbs can be used in any car??

I wish that was the case. My E has curve lights which after realising the Cayenne part though looking exactly the same with only the last two digits of the part number perhaps there's an interface built into the ballast I need which controls the actuation of the lights themselves moving. Hence why even a punt on the Cayenne or other models might be a bit risky with 1100 volts flying around.

Waiting for my cousin to get back to me fingers crossed!

If the E is like my CLS (with Active Curve) the headlamps have two ECUs. Pretty sure one is the ballast, the other controls the self levelling and active curve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom