W211 Footwell bulbs - replace while lit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-class

Car
MB
Hi

I have a 2008 W211 with ambient lighting, I've purchased some Canbus LED's to replace the floor footwell lighting with as original bulbs are too dim while driving, cannot tell they are on.

I've had a look at the lens, it looks like I can probably prise off using a screwdriver (unless anyone knows any different), however the footwell lighting stays on when the door is open, can I replace the bulb with LED while power is going to it/while it is lit?

Apologies I know this is probably a silly question but just dont want to risk doing any damage :)

Many thanks

Can't see why it would be a problem in general as long as there is no risk of shorting the connections. The bulbs won't mind a bit.

To be ultra safe could you get someone to hold the door switch in while you change the bulbs.

NEVER replace an LED while its switched on...!

They are extremely sensitive to voltage fluxuations.

Ah, I can't find a way to turn off the footwell lights, any suggestions on best way to install the LED's?

If you leave the door open for long enough with the key out of the ignition they will go out after ten or so minutes.

Dont even come on in daylight :)

Dont even come on in daylight :)
You are correct, for some reason I thought when door is open they stay on, I must have been thinking about my old car, I tried today in daylight and it does indeed stay off.

It looks like I can just slide a flat object to remove the plastic lens (hopefully I dont snap a clip!) and then this will reveal the bulb, I'll give this a try on Sat when i'm home, unfortunately gets dark by the time i leave work!

Use my solution above put a torch over the light sensor

I've replaced these now and they seem to work fine, only downside is they are not that much brighter in the ambient lighting mode :( if I press one of the overhead light switches it makes the footwell light go to max, any ideas if there's any way to have them on max all the time without also having dome lights on?

Can you not set the level via on of the cluster menus? One can on the 219 but not 100% if it affects the footwell lights.

Hi

I have a 2008 W211 with ambient lighting, I've purchased some Canbus LED's to replace the floor footwell lighting with as original bulbs are too dim while driving, cannot tell they are on.

Many thanks

Never had a W211, so I'm not familiar with it, but is it usual for footwell lights to be on at all when driving? In every car I've had they come on (and go off) with the interior lights.

You learn something every day!

Ambient lights are already set to the maximum level (5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom