W211 Front N/S Brakes Creak When Pressed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAABU

Car
W211 E220 CDi
I have a 03 E220 CDi which appears to make a creaking sound from the front N/S brakes everytime the brakes are pressed. It's most noticeable when moving along in slow traffic.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

like a low buzzing sound, similar to that of maybe a pump being brought back up to pressure?

It'll be the SBC pump being brought back up to pressure - if it's very noisy I believe there's a modification for it, but they all do that sir...

Strange that they do not fit the damper to the 230 and only to the 211

Strange they never fitted SBC to the rest of the range - didn't it only make it to the SL, E, SLR and Maybach? With the SLR and Maybach being the only ones still using it (or does the SL still also?)

Despite its quirks having had to do a very quick stop the other day, in a village from about 30, the SBC system is very very efficient at turning your pedal motion into a stationary car!

Strange they never fitted SBC to the rest of the range - didn't it only make it to the SL, E, SLR and Maybach? With the SLR and Maybach being the only ones still using it (or does the SL still also?)

Despite its quirks having had to do a very quick stop the other day, in a village from about 30, the SBC system is very very efficient at turning your pedal motion into a stationary car!

I agree with you that they are super when you have to stop quick, I have no complaints at all with the system

How can it be any quicker to stop than a car equipped with BAS? That causes the pressure to rise to a point where the ABS cuts in so surely SBC can't provide any further stopping power than that..

The cars above and were new cars and designed to have SBC. The system was found to have reliability issues so wasn't implimented onto the rest of the model ranges.
It has been removed from the w211 as part of the facelift redesign but it is too expensive to re-engineer the other models it is fitted to, and as they are low volume sellers it is less likely to have much impact...if you will forgive the pun..

How can it be any quicker to stop than a car equipped with BAS? That causes the pressure to rise to a point where the ABS cuts in so surely SBC can't provide any further stopping power than that..

It is much more sensitive than BAS, and in the rain the calipers are always dry, the pads sit nearer the disc also

I understaqnd about the disk drying although have never had a problem with wet ones, but don't see how the SBC can be more sensetive than a BAS equipped system.
If you quickly hit the brake pedal in a BAS equipped car it sucks the pedal down as quickly as the valve closes, which is quick indeed. So I don't see how it can be any quicker.

I've used the BAS a few times and it stops the car very quickly with all the ABC chattering away.

The only other aspect of SBC that decreases stopping time is that the SBC system automatically pre-charges the brake cylinders in anticipation of an emergency stop based upon the speed with which the driver's foot is removed from the accelerator pedal. Pre-charging brings the pads up into contact with the disks so that braking effort is immediate.

Philip

A few thoughts. Most of us with SBC fitted cars moved to them from cars with earlier designs of braking system (which may or may not have had Anti-Lock Braking Systems [ABS]). There have been many threads on the forum on this topic and most owners of SBC fitted cars believe it to be a wonderful braking system.

I genuinely do not recognise the abbreviation BAS so I don't know if you're referring to what I call ABS or to Brake Assist. I've never driven a Brake Assist fitted car so I cannot comment on that. However I can say that my SBC system is very good in an emergency in slowing the car and the ABS only cuts in when the road conditions are poor.

The original comment in this thread was not that SBC was better than any other braking system but that it is a very good one.

A few thoughts.

I genuinely do not recognise the abbreviation BAS so I don't know if you're referring to what I call ABS or to Brake Assist. I've never driven a Brake Assist fitted car so I cannot comment on that. However I can say that my SBC system is very good in an emergency in slowing the car and the ABS only cuts in when the road conditions are poor.

Just for the record.

ABS came along in 1984
ASR--------------1991
ETS--------------1994
ESP--------------1996
BAS--------------1998
SBC--------------2002

Just for the record.

ABS came along in 1984
ASR--------------1991
ETS--------------1994
ESP--------------1996
BAS--------------1998
SBC--------------2002

Aren't TLAs (three letter abbreviations) wonderful. :D

All of my braking system work has been on systems where the interface is betweeen steel wheel and steel rail (i.e. the railway). The system there is known as WSP (wheel slide protection) but the basic principles are the same.

I reread my post where I said I have never driven a car with Brake Assist. Actually I drive one all the time. :eek: What I meant to say was I haven't driven a car with the system where Brake Assist is an add-on to a normal braking system as opposed to the fully powered system that is SBC.

like a low buzzing sound, similar to that of maybe a pump being brought back up to pressure?

It'll be the SBC pump being brought back up to pressure - if it's very noisy I believe there's a modification for it, but they all do that sir...

Thanks for the suggestion BUT I know about this. It's not this type of sound. However, since the post the sound has slowly diminished. It's still there but very faint now.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom