W211 front overhead light console query: wiring for laser detector (worth it?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard Hunter

Car
2016 E350d BlueTEC Estate, AMG Night Edition Premium
Hi,

:confused: I have been fiddling around too long now and would really appreciate some help from an expert!

Can anyone please advise me (w211 late 2004): -

1. How to safely remove parts of the overhead lighting / auto-dim rear-view mirror console to get to the wiring?
2. What would be the appropriate wires to gang onto for an ignition switched supply?

My plan is to fit a laser detector detector behind the rear view mirror - but it needs power.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

P.S. My experience of laser detectors: -

I have read many opinions about whether or not laser detectors are actually worth fitting.

My experience is consistent with views that state if you receive a direct hit and much over the limit - you're probably done on the grounds you simply cannot slow down quickly enough. However, on at least 2 occasions (1 motorway, 1 single carraigeway) I have responded to an alert and avoided penalty on account of detection from vehicles being gunned in front of me - so in my view detecting indirect hits justifies fitting a device. I had an Origin b2 on my last E class W210 that was an excellent unit with a discreet screen mounted laser detector. I am told its replacement (the POGO alert) is not as good?

The standalone laser unit I have now is a Telex detector (~£70) which requires a power supply independently of the Talex GPS camera tracking device (Halfords £35!) since the cigarette lighter power module produces the alert. Unfortunately I bought the GPS unit first and didn't realise the Telex laser add-on has a separate alert module: a disadvantage but otherwise the GPS unit is good for little money!

I have a Talex camera detector mounted alongside the rvm and it was wired to the ignition switch by a Merc techie. I don't think there is a ign+ve supply readily available up there.

Thanks Druk - was that the Talex GPS unit or the Laser detector by your RVM? Was the roof lining peeled back from the windscreen top edge to run the cable?

I fitted the GPS unit on the corner dash (driver's side) on the magnetic pad - power route through to the cigarette lighter round and underneath.

Laser unit a little more tricky.

Cheers

It's the GPS derived camera detector at the RVM. MK1 I think, quite an old model but still working and updateable from the database. The techie took the light cluster out and the lining down the A pillar but I think 'fished' the cable through the roof lining. Also the end cap off the dash and the switch but not much else. I made a little bracket carrying the mag-mount which is screwed to the cluster.

There is no switch live behind the roof light , only a permenant live , the ligh is easy to remove ,
The cover around the base of the RVM comes off frist , this pops down than slides off the mirror . Next look for 2 small black plastic buttons on either side of the opening around the base of the mirror , these push back and release the front of the light , and alow the back to unclip . The mirror will then come off with a tug

Be careful if you ever plan to take the car abroad. In many European countries it's an offence to be in possession of a laser detector (whether it's switched on or not).

I regularly travel to France and my plan is fitting it behind the RVM as apposed to on the dash will make it much less obvious.

In truth I wish I still had my Origin b2 where the laser detector looked exactly like a screen mounted phone microphone!

Thanks for the warning.

Thanks for the info. I'll need to check the idle current draw to predict if there would be any risk of battery drain on a permanent + supply : otherwise I will have to follow Druk's method of running through the roof lining from the A pillar.

I regularly travel to France and my plan is fitting it behind the RVM as apposed to on the dash will make it much less obvious.

I would seriously consider making it removable, otherwise your car is liable to be impounded if it does get spotted. Either way it's a 1500 Euro fine.

I'd look at this from the other way around, I have had my fair share of detectors including the B2 which I also thought was excellent, still have it but don't use it not sure if they work or not on laser mine never saved me by the time you got the warning it was too late.

I installed This best move I ever made totally legal in the EU and blocks laser pefectly it cant even break through at close range. Still use a gps detector for fixed post installations but mobile vans and handhelds just cant get you. Totally unobtrusive you would never see it on my car unless I told you where it was I travel France, Switzerland and Germany regular no problems at all, its when the cops are waiting around the toll booths they really visually inspect your car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom