W211 Front spring failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My front spring went last year at 8 yrs old and only 40 k miles . Got recovered to dealers and it cost me over £500 to replace both fronts. Daylight robbery

Well whilst doing my brakes yesterday I thought I'd check mine as there was a 'clunk' as I went over a speed bump last week. I checked and I last replaced them 5 years ago but mileage wise only done around 30k.

The price has also risen from £120 to £160 but I have messaged Mb Grangemouth on t'other side and they can do them for £120 +£5 p+p. Result :thumb:

Because a headlight bulb failure at 70mph may not be as much of a issue as a Spring.....

Maybe a better analogy is to ask if you burst one front tyre but the other was perfect would you replace both? I suspect that you would make sure that the new tyres was the same make and spec and just fit one -- at least that is what I would do.

Anyway, I am only countering a suggestion that there was some mandatory need to change both sides. I did one side and had the car for almost two years after that with no issues.

WIS has a cut-off point after which it recommends changing both sides. Might be 20k miles, not sure but it wasn't a huge mileage. The reason given is after that distance the spring will have lost some of it's original rate and to replace only one side could destabilise the car.

Maybe a better analogy is to ask if you burst one front tyre but the other was perfect would you replace both? I suspect that you would make sure that the new tyres was the same make and spec and just fit one -- at least that is what I would do.

Anyway, I am only countering a suggestion that there was some mandatory need to change both sides. I did one side and had the car for almost two years after that with no issues.

But i suppose i have to ask that hoary old question.:devil:
You have to replace for some reason two tyres with new to fit as an axle set on your car, the other pair are too good to throw away being only partially worn.
On what axle set do the new pair go onto? front or rear?
Regards Tuercas Viejas

But i suppose i have to ask that hoary old question.:devil:
You have to replace for some reason two tyres with new to fit as an axle set on your car, the other pair are too good to throw away being only partially worn.
On what axle set do the new pair go onto? front or rear?
Regards Tuercas Viejas

We are moving well away from the original topic but the experts in the area all say that you should put the new tyres on the rear.
It does seem slightly illogical as most of the braking and all the steering is at the front, but I do understand that if the back of the car breaks away on a wet corner it is almost impossible to control (for most of us who aren't 'drift' masters) leading to a spin which could have disastrous results.
It may be even more important to have the best tyres on the back for rear wheel drive cars like most Mercedes.

Last edited:
That's the reason.

They want you to have better grip at the back so the car will tend towards safer understeer rather than oversteer.

Going further down that road so to speak, a cars "attitude on collision" may also be a factor. Car structures tend to major on resistance to frontal impact [ the most common scenario] ---- front crumple zones , bulkhead, engines submarining under floorpans, seat belts, multiple airbags, collapsing steering columns etc etc. While side impact protection has markedly improved in recent years with deeper doors, stronger sills/pillars and side/curtain airbags the major factor here is de-acceleration loads related to depth of available crumple zone. A front to side car to car impact is going to be less survivable than a front to front impact for one party at least. Anything that maintains that front to front collision aspect in the event of the worst happening is probably also a good thing.:dk:

We are moving well away from the original topic but the experts in the area all say that you should put the new tyres on the rear.
It does seem slightly illogical as most of the braking and all the steering is at the front, but I do understand that if the back of the car breaks away on a wet corner it is almost impossible to control (for most of us who aren't 'drift' masters) leading to a spin which could have disastrous results.
It may be even more important to have the best tyres on the back for rear wheel drive cars like most Mercedes.

Good answer.
As they say on the other side of the pond, avoids doing donuts.
Tuercas Viejas

I have never heard of them breaking whilst on the move. Mine and my neighbours both broke overnight setting the alarm off.

Has anyone knowledge or experience of them breaking whilst on the move?

YES several times usually precipitated by some form of shock loading- pothole/drain cover/speed bump/kerb etc Never had one go at speed afaik but then I'm still here to tell the tale?

I have never heard of them breaking whilst on the move. Mine and my neighbours both broke overnight setting the alarm off.

Has anyone knowledge or experience of them breaking whilst on the move?

I am very sure mine broke on the move - a loud clunk was heard. Due to where it snapped though, not really any difference in drivability

Yes , last year ! Front o/s went at about 45 mph, on a dual carriageway, luckily no traffic. A very loud bang and the front dropped. Luckily a left fork was 50 yes ahead with a field gateway to pull into. Wheel did not touch the body so no damage. Had my 92 year old mother with me who said ' never had that happen to me ' and proceeded to pull her AA Gold Membership Card out of her handbag so I could phone the breakdown service , she was still driving at that tine

Ok so quick update...

O/S front spring broken booked in for a pair of new MB springs on Thursday.

Talking to my mechanic,he told me that he has a spate of broken springs, each winter after a cold snap.
He also said he has seen several cases of the broken spring cutting into the inner sidewall of the tyre, causing a flat.
Tony

Springs done, O/S lower ball joint replaced and N/S upper ball joint replaced wallet a bit lighter...

On the + side the car now feels great...

I heard a very loud crash from outside last night, followed by a car alarm going off.

Turned out it was my 2007 E280. Was worried it has been crashed into or vandalised. Instead, it was the front passenger suspension which had broken and the tyre was wedged into the wheel arch. The driver’s side looked slightly lower too, but not by much.

Should I expect any other components to be damaged as a result of the suspension collapsing, or is it generally ok? Ie. Will changing the springs fix it?

Also, I’ve been told that Mercedes stopped making these springs as the car is out of production and that I would have to get non-merc springs. Is there any truth in this?

Thanks

I heard a very loud crash from outside last night, followed by a car alarm going off.

Turned out it was my 2007 E280. Was worried it has been crashed into or vandalised. Instead, it was the front passenger suspension which had broken and the tyre was wedged into the wheel arch. The driver’s side looked slightly lower too, but not by much.

Should I expect any other components to be damaged as a result of the suspension collapsing, or is it generally ok? Ie. Will changing the springs fix it?

Also, I’ve been told that Mercedes stopped making these springs as the car is out of production and that I would have to get non-merc springs. Is there any truth in this?

Thanks
Mercedes have never made springs.

Thanks
I bought a pair of front springs for my 211 Avantgard from a MB dealer about 3 years ago after one of mine snapped overnight on the drive. They asked for the colour code (painted marks on the spring) but could have supplied with VIN number. They had them in stock and said they usually carried some as it was a common issue. The car was well out of production by then. They cost around £100 the pair. I would think that MB can still supply and would recommend MB parts to be sure of the correct fitment.

Thanks

Try ordering from MB. It seems unlikely that they won't supply.

You need to make sure you get the correct springs - there were several different spring types for the W211 depending on the exact model.

I can't recall any mention of other damage as long as the car is not driven. The recommendation is normally to replace both springs if one side goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom