W211 Front spring failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E280Tim

Car
E280 + 316 Sprinter
My E280 front end had collapsed over night?

The O/F of the car has dropped so far that I can't even drive to the garage.

I assume it's the coil spring that has failed (glad it happened on the driveway and not on the motorway).

Can anyone recommend a good brand of replacement front coil springs it has sport suspension so I would like to make sure the replacements are also Sport springs.

Go for the original MB ones they are not expensive just had both mine done. Genuine springs fitted at local indy less than£300 all in

I did think about going MB but the quality seems to be an issue with their springs, I've read a lot of posts about spring failure.

I was wondering if it might be better to go with a quality aftermarket brand.

Boge, Kilen, Suplex are all good Aftermarket brands , But one thing i would say is replace in Pairs.

It's vital to get the correct colour coded spring with MB, otherwise the car will sit wrong after fitment.

I did think about going MB but the quality seems to be an issue with their springs, I've read a lot of posts about spring failure.

I was wondering if it might be better to go with a quality aftermarket brand.

What year is yours and how many miles on the clock?

Thanks for the recommendations merc85.

Am I right to assume that it's only MB springs that need colour coding?

Totally agree on doing both.

Cheers

Hi Whitenemesis,

It's 2009 and it's done 112k

Cheers

Yes they have colour coding and are different depending on the options on your car, worked out from your VIN.

Cheers

Suplex Springs will come through with the Colour code markings on, and Boge believe.

Kilen springs dont but the Retailer will usually ask WHat model it is, Classic, Ellegance etc

Hi Whitenemesis,

It's 2009 and it's done 112k

So, MB original spring lasted 112k and 8yrs? I don't see any problem with quality there..

Only by buying through MB parts can you guarantee to get the correct spec, restoring original ride quality and ride height.

Mine went at 10 years old and 155,000 miles so I thought get the correct OEM springs from Mercedes and in another 10 years it will be over 300k miles and time for a change.... :D

LOL.. It's got to be the most sure way of getting it right, eventually :D

£480 to look like an escapee from wacky races (and non returnable !)

£30 Monroe springs (including £12 p & p !!!!!) Sorted it to my satisfaction

My OSF spring broke at 10 years and 107K

Bought 2 genuine from MB for £100 the pair.

Good value I think

Eibach probably the best after market springs available, used by many manufacturers as uprated alternative to standard springs, excellent quality if a little pricey.

Most modern springs are cold wound, meaning they are left with internal stresses unless these are relieved with heat /surface treatment. They are surface coated to protect from corrosion at manufacture. Unfortunately due to their under body position this protective layer is liable to be damaged by corrosive substances and debris allowing water to reach the spring metal surface. Eventually this results in micro pitting of the surface which acts as a focus for that stored internal stress eventually resulting in spring fracture. This can happen overnight meaning quite often MB owners can find their car with a broken spring in the morning despite it being parked up.

spring manufacture
https://youtu.be/6ZMuMvpgKFs
[YOUTUBE HD]/6ZMuMvpgKFs[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:
I had the offside front spring fail on my W211 (actually an S211) a couple of years ago.
It happened within 50 metres from home and my wife was driving. She said that there was a big bang and the driver's side dropped.

She got the car home and I set about fixing it. When I got the old spring off I could see the pained colours on it. I had to show a picture of it the MB dealer's parts guy as he was about to order the wrong one. It was a reasonable price (circa €70 incl. VAT). I attach a photo to show you the painted markings.

Anyway, I fitted the new one and all was well.
I know people are saying that you should change both sides but I didn't and there was no noticeable difference in ride heights on either side. Maybe that is the advantage of buying the MB part.

It is not an easy job and the spring is under tension so there is a risk -- I definitely would not replace the other side if it isn't broken.

I read somewhere that you wouldn't replace both headlamp bulbs if only one was blown so why would you replace both springs if only one was broken?

Attachments

• S211 Spring.jpg
    S211 Spring.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 24
Because a headlight bulb failure at 70mph may not be as much of a issue as a Spring.....

As pointed out springs usually break due to corrosion not loading. Always best to replace in pairs because sure as fate the other old one's days are numbered also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom