W211 front suspension clunking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paddcomp

Car
E320CDI Avantgarde Estate S211
Having read a similar thread for a W210 I thought I'd ask a similar question. Similar as in I know part of the answer.

I recently purchased a 2007, post facelift, W211 E320CDI with 108K on it. Recent (20/8/14) MOT.

Front suspension gives a light clunk over small bumps, steering is good and the car tracks well.

Took it to MB dealer for a free health check, as it's free.

The sheets says I need new front ball joints, upper and lower. As MB wants £500+ to replace them I'll take it to my indie, but wanted to know if I should be asking for anything else to be changed whilst doing this job.

Also I've priced up the parts with ECP, 2x upper and 2x lower come to £110. Does this sound right, bearing in mind MB wanted over £500, is it a big job?

Always a fan of preventative maintenance.

Both left and right upper and lower ball joints as diagnosed replaced by my indie. More expensive than expected but sorted now.

The majority of the noises were cured with the ball joint replacement, but I was still left with several annoying knocking noises over small bumps.
Difficult to pinpoint the location of the noise as it seems to move about. Had another inspection of the car which revealed large amounts of limestone chippings in the undertray and anywhere else they could settle. This also explained why they weren't spotted when the suspension was inspected.
Much better and confidence restored.

I don't know if it helps but had similar thing on my w202 I few years ago I couldn't find a knocking noise after checking everything I gave up took it to Mercedes Waterhouse it turned out to be two bushes on the anti roll bar I brought the bushes and a new bar under £80 in total and cured it. I brought a new bar because the old one had worn and tapered at the end.

I've had a second garage look at and all they found wrong was a load of limestone chippings on the undertray.
All this helps but still feel a knocking under my feet. I'd rather not wait until something breaks.

If nothing else has play in it I would suspect the shocks.

OK garage #4 has my S211 E320cdi to investigate the clunking. Also trying a new indie, Blackpool Automotive who were recommended on here.

Spoke to Richard today who can feel the problem when driving but is struggling to pinpoint the cause. The bushes in the lower suspension arms are split but nothing else seemed amiss, so they're being changed.

I get the car back on Friday so will report back on progress.

Anti roll bar drop links?

The lower suspension arms have improved things a lot. The feeling through my feet is all but gone, maybe some residual noise is just stuff loose in the car.

I'm still reserving judgement completely until I've had a few a days with it, but quietly confident.

Other than that I'm not spending anymore on it, I'll just live with it until it gets worse.

I had a rattle at low speed over uneven surfaces from the front nearside on my previous 2007 S211 estate. Turned out to be the strut top bearing, might be worth investigating?

Hello everybody

I've got a small front suspension knocking sound on small bumps or uneven road at small speed only. I did replace lower and upper ball joints and strut mounts so far, I thought noise it's coming from there, but unfortunately not.
I was thinking to check sway bar drop links and inner joints where they come mounted on control arm.
I was wondering, if it's that small inner ball joint from the lower arm, is there any chance to press it without taking the control arm off? I don't want to mess up with the camber...617220495.jpg
If it can, can you let me know what kind of tool do I need?

Regards,

C clamp. ??

something like this , Mercedes W220 W211 W230 W215 W219 Master Ball Joint Press Remover Installer Too | eBay

cheaper kit here --- Ball Joint Remover & Installer Set Kit Mercedes Benz W220 W211 W230 | eBay

10PCS 4 IN 1 BALL JOINT SERVICE KIT PRESS TRUCK BRAKE PIN REMOVER INSTALLER UK | eBay

ive replaced both full arms myself and camber wasnt affected btw, the arm is fixed at the hub balljoint and cant wander so dont see why camber would move tbh ?? plus theres nothing to say its not the balljoint

Last edited:
something like this , Mercedes W220 W211 W230 W215 W219 Master Ball Joint Press Remover Installer Too | eBay

cheaper kit here --- Ball Joint Remover & Installer Set Kit Mercedes Benz W220 W211 W230 | eBay

10PCS 4 IN 1 BALL JOINT SERVICE KIT PRESS TRUCK BRAKE PIN REMOVER INSTALLER UK | eBay

ive replaced both full arms myself and camber wasnt affected btw, the arm is fixed at the hub balljoint and cant wander so dont see why camber would move tbh ?? plus theres nothing to say its not the balljoint
Thank you OneForTheRoad, I'm familiar with this kind of press.

As you can see, the stud hole for the inner bush on the arm it's not round.
There are some camber adjustment studs which you can buy from dealer, when you change your control arm you have to use those ones.
New control arms can be 1-2mm longer or shorter and can affect your camber pretty much.

I recently did the 4 wheel alligment and the guys said that unfortunately they can't adjust the camber without those studs. Camber was not bad at all, I just wanted to make all the adjustments spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom