W211 front suspension creak unbearable!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic

Car
2009 S211 220 CDI
Hi all

Now the weather has improved my 2009 W211 220CDI has started making its incredibly noisy suspension known again. Before I start spending money on replacing components i was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar before.

https://youtu.be/_4LcQp3eIQM

Just a short video as an example of the problem. Seems to be much worse in the dry, but still noticeable in the wet.

Car's done 115k miles and i had the lower ball joint on that side done last year.

Sounds like a shock absorber, never had that before, you would be better off getting someone to look a that to identify where it is coming from.

lube the silver rod of the shocker where it enters the shocker body with penetrating spray . chances are it will disappear for a while and return . had this on the wifes slk steering damper shock its exactly the same noise .

Same problem, mine is a CLS with Airmatic though, if I press the brake pdal when stationary it creaks as well, I think I have more than one noise, suspension seems fine but the noise drives me mad, sounds more like an old pram than a Mercedes sometimes.

Penetrating spray has cured it before, am on the verge of ordering a kit of all the links an replacing the lot, but will do that and then drive it and find it is still doing it.
Does seem to be better when it is wet out.

Thanks for everyone's reply.
Late last week I followed the advice and jacked the car up, pulled down the plastic collar where the silver rod enters the body and smeared a bit of LM grease on it.

Amazingly, this instantly cured the problem! Not a single noise coming from that corner of the car now - it has transformed the driving experience.

I suspect that it may come back but smearing some grease on it once in a while is cheaper then replacing what seems to be a perfectly fine shock absorber.

Thanks so much to all who repled, especially OneForTheRoad!

Next time you have a loud squeak like this have a friend reach in there and hold their hand on various components to feel for vibration.

By the way, I am under the impression that if you grease the shaft of a properly working shock absorber, ...

youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom