W211 Front Suspension Creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi, just looking for some educated guesses as to what is causing the brand new creak at the OSF of my (Airmatic) W211.

Whatever it is (bush?) creaks at low velocity compression and rebound - say going over a speedbump.

I can also make it creak when stationary by moving the steering wheel gently from side to side (balljoint?).

Anyone experienced something similar?

Lower ball joint. 148,000 on the clock and I've been through 2 sets. Exactly the symptoms you describe. Not too expensive thankfully.

Lower ball joint. 148,000 on the clock and I've been through 2 sets. Exactly the symptoms you describe. Not too expensive thankfully.

Thanks SJT, hopefully you are correct. Had them done at 90k miles IIRC but suspect they may be on the way out again. London speed bumps kill them. Fingers crossed.....

Will get it checked out on Friday and report back.

Will be interested to hear your findings. My E55 has always had a creak and I have never got to the bottom of it.

Had lower steering ball joints replaced, both front airmatic struts replaced, front anti-roll bar bushes and links replaced! Luckily most of this was done under MB Tier 1 warranty as would have cost a fortune. BUT it still makes same noise!!

Just had mine in garage for similar issue. Turned out to be faulty front shockers. Both replaced and peace is restored!

Already had front lower arms replaced and drop links.

Will be interested to hear your findings. My E55 has always had a creak and I have never got to the bottom of it.

Had lower steering ball joints replaced, both front airmatic struts replaced, front anti-roll bar bushes and links replaced! Luckily most of this was done under MB Tier 1 warranty as would have cost a fortune. BUT it still makes same noise!!

My w203 sometimes creaks at the rear... always have done. Olie PCS test drove the car and Tony WIM spend some time going over all the joints and bushes, and neither could find anything wrong with it.... so I stopped worrying about it :)

Mine sounded the same especially turning steering wheel full lock & back, dealer stripped suspension but still the same, at the end they too were baffled & concluded it was the character of the car! took it to another dealer for second opinion & they greased certain parts & it has never happened since.....and that was 4years ago.

My car is also doing the same. A loud creaking noise from the front if I brake hard or when slowly moving or parking and I do full lock on the steering wheel left or right.

Mine's been doing it for a few months and is now very loud. :eek:
I'm thinking engine mount.

Its always worth dropping the castor arms down from the bush end on a 211. It can be hard to see but when the bushes split right on the edge at the metal casing they can make an awful creak. Its not always possible to see this with them mounted in the subframe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom