W211 front suspension failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ramsay2000

Car
C180 W202
I have a w211 320cdi elegance estate (inline 6).

I've been having some problem with the rear driver side suspension sagging. I got it looked at and they couldn't find an airbag leak so I was keeping an eye on this.

I had left the car parked up for a few days and came back expecting the same rear suspension to be sagging but in fact this time both front tyres were sunk into the wings!

The passenger side is lower than the drivers. No warning from car and starts fine.

Previously when I have parked car I could hear air being released I believe from the self levelling suspension?

Any ideas what my new problem could be?

Does the car have air suspension all round? There is no control for this in the cab.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I live in Newcastle

The default setup on E Class estates is self-levelling suspension at the rear with standard coil springs at the front.
It is designed to keep the rear at the same height no matter what the weight is in the rear. There is no user control of this.

They are air bags that hold high pressure. The bags are rubber and perish over time. Other faults that can happen including leaks in the air lines going to each side, the pump can fail, etc., however the airbags are the most likely culprit.
You could use soapy water to check for leaks in the air lines.

There are level sensors under the back axle which can rust or break. It is worth checking these too.

It is possible to buy replacement air suspension units from MB or from a number of other suppliers.

So the failure now only seems to be the front is that just normal springs?

So this likely a spring problem?

Post up your VIN number and someone will check if you have air suspension all round. Its unusual for both front spring/struts to mechanically fail simultaneously barring a major suspension impact.

Post up your VIN number and someone will check if you have air suspension all round. Its unusual for both front spring/struts to mechanically fail simultaneously barring a major suspension impact.

My recollection is that there have been reports of this occasionally happening.

The opinion at the time was that if both springs were corroding then one suddenly failing could cause the other to fail at the same time.

Alternatively if the spring on one side goes then the other can appear to be a bit lower.

Here is vin

WDB 211226 2A 327750 9

One side is a bit lower than the other but both very low!!

If someone could check that would be great

Great many thanks. Hopefully just springs need changing

Look underneath the front. If you can see a coil spring .....

Thanks all. Was a coil. Bought a KYB replacement which has now been fitted. Only problem is it's now about an inch higher than the other side!! Will that sort itself out?

Thanks all. Was a coil. Bought a KYB replacement which has now been fitted. Only problem is it's now about an inch higher than the other side!! Will that sort itself out?

No, highly likely a "generic" spring has been fitted rather than one specific to the car with it's various options.

Did you fit it yourself?

KYB springs are not a good idea. I fitted two on the back of my CLK despite the supplier double checking that they were OK for sports pack suspension, the car sat up like a top fuel dragster. Took them of and returned them, fitted genuine MB using the data card and job done.

It's good practise to replace both springs at the same time even though the other may appear to be OK. It won't be long before the other goes as well. If it happens at speed, it can obviously be a bit scary depending on how fast and on what sort of road. I had one spring go on my S211 some time ago and decided not to risk it and got both replaced.

We get this all the time, You should replace coil springs in pairs, Kilen Springs will not honour warranty's if only one is fitted, KYB may well be the same.

Thanks all. Merc up here was closed so got the KYB for £30. Labour was 60 to fit. My mechanic couldn't compress the spring himself so got ATS to do it but said he supervised.

How can the height be adjusted?

PO, I'd replace the other spring (with the same type) before messing with the suspension adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom