W211 front suspension noise. Please help to identify

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guitarist

Car
W211 e220 cdi 2007
Hello, I have 2007 E220 cdi Mercedes and there is very annoying clicking noise in front suspension. So far there been changed: 4 control arms, 4 ball joints, both strut mounts, tie rods. I was in couple garages and no luck. One mechanic drove this car and said he don't hear anything, another said he don"t know what it could be, third said that there may be sound coming from wheel bearings (however after tightening them it doesn't solve the issue). I placed my zoom recorder under the bonnet and have recorded that clicking noise. Anyone have ideas what it could be? Drop links? Strut top mounts? Anti roll bar bushings? Anything else? sound example here: Mercedes w211 front suspension noise

It sounds to me as though the car is crying because you drive a diesel. :)

Sounds like a creaky ball joint, you say you have had 4 ball joints and 4 control arms is that the lower castor and camber arms and lower ball joints?
Could be the upper arm ball joint or possibly but doesn’t sound like it a bit of brake pad rattle.

Thats standing still with you revving the engine ??

Complete new 4 lower control arms been changed together with both lower and both upper ball joints. I checked the steering and suspension parts behind the wheel and nothing seems loose. There is no play in drop links, they are old but not moving much. No big gap between anti roll bar bushings and bar itself. Could be shock absorbers knocking to strut mounts? Maybe I should try changing drop links to if it helps?
Sound recorded when driving over bumps and padholes.

Sounds like a hub ball joint squeaking. Its nothing I've ever heard before and I've changed my fair share of arms on w211 and w219.

Very hard to say for sure as some time ago, but when I got my w211 I had a lot of clicking/light knocking noises. Having gone through a similar exercise I changed too mounts and dampers. Silence and car drove much better. However, don’t bother with febi top mounts. Garbage. One was knocking again within a year.

So I am going to conclusion that it is most likely strut top mounts noise. About 1000 miles ago I got them changed with Febi ones. Looks like Febi parts are hit or miss when it comes to quality. Next time I'm gonna use Lemforder.

if I was a chinaman. I'd say its rubbery not metalery. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom