W211 Front Top/Bottom Ball Joint, Control Arm, Track Rod Replacement for MOT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Hi folks

Checked the W211 out at the weekend as it's due an MOT next month.

Few things wrong at the front, upper/lower ball joints, track control arm, and track rod ends (mixture of wobbly joints & burst gators).

Went ahead today and replaced the offending parts, upper ball joints, control arms, lower ball joints (used a C clamp from ebay to push the lower ball joints out and new ones in).
Total cost of parts about £180 from our local factors and about 4 hours to do the job.

I was a little worried about the camber alignment with the new control arm but these just bolted straight on with no adjustment needed.
Kept a close eye on the track rod ends to get these back on in the same place, will get alignment done after MOT.

Only other thing we found was a worn out protective cover plate behind the off side front disc (secured with some washers) and a broken exhaust hanger (fabricated new one & welded on).

Here's hoping it passes its MOT, will be nice to have a nice new MOT having not shelled out several hundred pounds, update to follow.

just done almost the same. i used, well bought, febi and lemforder parts as they appear to be 'better' than some. what make were the parts you used, and how is the quality?

Surely when you get alinement done they will check camber too if it's a decent 4 wheel alinement. Do all this on mine and it just needed tracking adjustment! Good fun removing them bottom ball joints isn't it NOT. Ball ache on you're own I found. How old the car as I am suprised about the hanger and disc plate.

just done almost the same. i used, well bought, febi and lemforder parts as they appear to be 'better' than some. what make were the parts you used, and how is the quality?

FAI Auto, supplied by the guys locally I've used for about 30+ years.
Quality seems good, thought about going for Lemforder but I only drive this car locally about 3k pa so didn't think it was worth it.

Surely when you get alinement done they will check camber too if it's a decent 4 wheel alinement.
Do all this on mine and it just needed tracking adjustment!

There in lays the problem, think most of the locals use a ball of string and some sticky tape. :D
It's such an improvement having done both track rod ends and still having the steering wheel aligned properly, sure the local garages go out of their way to see how squint they can get the wheel with no concern about alignment.
Just checked though and the local Halfords Auto Centre can do an MOT and alignment for £65 so I may go ahead and book this.

Good fun removing them bottom ball joints isn't it NOT. Ball ache on you're own I found.

Have to honestly say without one of the big guys at work I'd still be there now with the breaker bar on the c clamp, needs a big lad and a lot of oomph.
The off side joint was solid, we bent the receiving cup getting this one out and had to do some grinding on it to get it to fit over the new joint to install.
Breaking the joints at the bottom can be fun and they make some bang when they go.

How old the car as I am suprised about the hanger and disc plate.

It's a 2004 with 210k on it so been around the block a bit.
Exhaust hanger has just rusted away, same for plate, rusted through at locating holes.
The disc plates are about £50 which seems a bit ridiculous. :eek:

Yes I used arms and legs on my own on the drive ( not fun). Personally I wouldn't let Halford touch my wheelbarrow and I'd be finding somewhere decent. Maybe if you tell us you're area someone maybe able to advise somewhere.

Stirling, nearest local dealer was JR Weir, now Arnold Clark, suffice to say I now wouldn't let them change a wiper blade as it's apparent I know more about the cars than they do!

Get the W212 now done over at Western but that's 35 minutes away, too far for me.

Took the car in today to one of the locals and passed MOT no problem.

Even had some time to take the nearside door mirror off and fix some broken wires for the mirror motor and the indicator lamp.

Have to honestly say without one of the big guys at work I'd still be there now with the breaker bar on the c clamp, needs a big lad and a lot of oomph.
The off side joint was solid, we bent the receiving cup getting this one out and had to do some grinding on it to get it to fit over the new joint to install.
Breaking the joints at the bottom can be fun and they make some bang when they go.

MSLP had to do these for me last year as mine had gone. It was a good effort by the guy who did them on mine - I could see it was a pig of a job.

Probably not the worst but wasn't easy either...

FAI Auto bottom ball joints lasted less than 10k miles, not impressed.

Replaced both bottom Ball Joints today with genuine Mercedes parts.

One of the chaps in local garage mentioned they have seen lots of aftermarket ones last very low miles before needing replaced.

Car passed it's MOT again today at 226,699 miles with no advisories. :)

Only done 7k miles in the past year but the genuine Mercedes bottom ball joints are certainly lasting better than the FAI ones that went on before.

Interesting news about the FAI items, They used to be quite good all there is alot of reboxing going on so they may not have actually been that make in the box, Were are Direct with Comline which carry a 3yr 36,000 Guarantee.

Car passed it's MOT again today at 226,699 miles with no advisories. :)

Only done 7k miles in the past year but the genuine Mercedes bottom ball joints are certainly lasting better than the FAI ones that went on before.
Good news on the pass! 226K is some mileage and a testimony to MB quality.

I noticed the alternator pulley making a noise today and that is really annoying me now.

Might need to investigate how the pulley comes off and how much a new pulley is but that will be after my holiday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom