W211 Front Wheel Bearing Change ABS/ESP Lights On

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Santino

Car
2003 Mercedes E Class 270 cdi
Hello all!

So i recently had my left front wheel bearings change and immediately was confronted with the ABS/ESP warning lights on the dashboard.

As I had bought cheap(ish) aftermarket bearings from eBay and after reading many forums this seemed to be the problem. I've had the codes read and this confirmed the problem.

So i went and bought a replacement inner wheel bearing seal (the magnetised sensor) from Mercedes and had the part changed. The codes has cleared up until i drove about 30 metres down the road and reappeared.

My questions are, do I have to change the whole bearing set or am I ok just changing the inner seal as i did? Could this also now be a fault with the ABS sensor which could have been damaged, broken etc from when the new bearings were installed?

Any help is more than appreciated

Kind regard

Santino

ABS sensors are fragile things and can be damaged when working near them - I speak from experience with a Lexus and had to pay £175 for a new sensor after I changed some suspension components

I bought the whole hub. Its just not worth the FAFF on . tbh

you’re right, I think buying the whole hub is the best plan of action. From what I’ve read the ABS sensor and inner bearing seal need to be perfectly put back together for it work

Thanks for the help

Will keep you updated....

the gap has to be exact between the 2 . i tried a lucas kit and it ended in failure , £25 i could of put towards a new hub . i tried the cheap fix as you do .

Hello all!

So i recently had my left front wheel bearings change and immediately was confronted with the ABS/ESP warning lights on the dashboard.

As I had bought cheap(ish) aftermarket bearings from eBay and after reading many forums this seemed to be the problem. I've had the codes read and this confirmed the problem.

So i went and bought a replacement inner wheel bearing seal (the magnetised sensor) from Mercedes and had the part changed. The codes has cleared up until i drove about 30 metres down the road and reappeared.

My questions are, do I have to change the whole bearing set or am I ok just changing the inner seal as i did? Could this also now be a fault with the ABS sensor which could have been damaged, broken etc from when the new bearings were installed?

Any help is more than appreciated

Kind regard

Santino
I had a similar problem to this when I had my wheel bearing done,I was looking to replace the abs sensor, unit the bullet and took it to Merc dealer, they worked out that the other garage had put either the magnet on backwards or the sensor the wrong way round, once swapped around it worked perfectly, I’d try comparing it to the wheel you haven’t had work done on, as free is a cheap fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom