W211 front wheel bearing stuck on stub axle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nicebutdim

Car
E320 cdi avantgarde 2007. Honda Goldwing GL1800. 1975 Norton 850 Commando. 1975 Suzuki GT750.
Morning all.

E320 cdi 2007 facelift.

I need to remove the front N/S wheel hub.

Wheel off, brake caliper removed, bearing cap and bearing retaining nut removed.

The outer bearing drops out no problems, then the hub will slide forward perhaps 1/2” before stops moving.

I believe the inner bearing race is stuck on the stub axle and i can feel the seal ring hitting it as i pull the hub forward.

I don’t have a hub puller.

Any clever suggestions how i might persuade the hub off of the stub axle?

Thanks

Looks like there is a lip on there and may have been hot and seized up . Looks like you just cought it in time .You need to hire or borrow a puller .I have a few pullers you could use but i am so far away . Keep looking in someone local to you will lend you one .Or talk to your local garage ,,and see if they might hire theirs out to you . These are not that expensive on Ebay for a set of three .Good luck,and nice to know your having a go at it yourself . Could you just take the whole hub off the bottom of the shocker .

Looks like there is a lip on there and may have been hot and seized up . Looks like you just cought it in time .You need to hire or borrow a puller .I have a few pullers you could use but i am so far away . Keep looking in someone local to you will lend you one .Or talk to your local garage ,,and see if they might hire theirs out to you . These are not that expensive on Ebay for a set of three .Good luck,and nice to know your having a go at it yourself . Could you just take the whole hub off the bottom of the shocker .

Thanks. I’m hoping to do it in situ as i would need to remove the whole knuckle which would mean unbolting and releasing all the various ball joints. I might still need to do that anyway But ill persevere a bit longer. I‘m thinking about making my own puller as ive got some 10mm steel plate hanging about.

ill update as i progress (or not, as the case may be)

Ive found a two leg puller which is big enough to fit over the hub but first i need to remove the brake disc which is well rusted in position. Spotted a good youtube way to push the disc off using bolts passed through the caliper mounting points on the hub carrier. I’ll have a go at that tomorrow.

I predict that as i draw off the hub the stuck race will simply push out the seal on the back of the hub and allow the hub to lift away. This should not require a huge pull. That should just leave me with the race stuck on the stub (and the seal hanging loosely).

i can then set about either pulling or cutting the race from the stub.

Ok. Success. The following photos start with the disc removal using two m10 bolts passed through the caliper mounting bracket. The other photos are self explanatory. I had to destroy the bearing cage to get access to the inner race which came off without too much of a fight.

Now awaiting spares to complete the repair. 85489791-8D26-46FA-9FD9-C6345D5D0D64.jpeg047EC36B-DC78-40FC-99AA-E77BA4C16CFE.jpeg8762131E-EFC2-4CB1-B612-2FEFF3BECE71.jpeg3BED12E5-82B3-4409-BCBF-2FCE3D99EB9D.jpegA92C7646-7344-42B4-AD89-17290CEDC017.jpeg9F6A5F15-F109-4581-BC6F-BCD4A0D83756.jpeg987154B9-2532-40D2-99AE-B5C9E6AB2236.jpeg39FC2072-9B33-43D6-A267-34049C888DEE.jpeg0A9AAEC1-3C0A-4B47-920B-00CC96D8ADC8.jpeg4D5916CF-C965-49ED-9091-54CB0C56352A.jpeg79314AF5-8679-4A89-AC3B-A9AC606F0434.jpeg

Reactions: 190
Thanks to those who replied. Suggestions often help to get your own thoughts straightened out.

Do you have new disc cover plates to go on , or are you going to tidied up the old ones ? These things are a a pain in the a$$ as on most cars they are designed in such a way that you have to get the hub off to change them . :mad:

The last ones I did were rotten (Toyota) so they came off with the help on a Dremel slitting disc. The new ones went on after being 'modified' with the same cutting tool ;).

If you are putting them back I would cut them first , for that matter I would cut the new ones just like I did on the Toyota.

Do you have new disc cover plates to go on , or are you going to tidied up the old ones ? These things are a a pain in the a$$ as on most cars they are designed in such a way that you have to get the hub off to change them . :mad:

The last ones I did were rotten (Toyota) so they came off with the help on a Dremel slitting disc. The new ones went on after being 'modified' with the same cutting tool ;).

If you are putting them back I would cut them first , for that matter I would cut the new ones just like I did on the Toyota.

The plate was in bad shape so i ordered a new one. The plate screws were knackered and stuck so i used a hacksaw to cut new slots then an old fashioned impact driver got them out.

Good suggestion re the modification.

When I cut the new ones to fit back on the Yaris I obviously ended up with unpainted cut edges. I cleaned the new plates with isopropyl alcohol and completely re sprayed them with some satin black I had laying around, why not ? an extra layer of paint can't do any harm.

P.S the ones I bought were genuine ones from Toyota I simply could not be sure I would get the correct ones off the 'tinternet . The genuine Toyota ones had the legend 'Made in Turkey' on the label :p . Having said the the car was built in France 🇫🇷 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom