W211 front Wheel wobble .. the saga continues ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbz124

Hi All,

My 211 2003 E270cdi has had front wheel wobble for a while now. As soon as it goes over some bumps in the road, the front right wheel starts wobbling making the steering erratic. Also the steering becomes incredibly easy to turn and then all of sudden very stiff, then randomly will try and pull either direction.

To replicate it on demand, just drive over a speed bump at speed and the wobble is instantly back and remains for a while. The Torque convertor has been suspected but not so sure now with the issue being instantly replicated over a speed bump. Although swarf has been seen on the dipstick.

Also noticed when quickly pulling into a drive with steering turned left, not fully locked going over a kerb raised by 25mm, it produces a firm knock sound on the front right.

New Steering rack, 2xtie rods, 4xshocks, springs, new front arms, new engine and gbox mounts, 2 sets of new tyres, a different set of wheels.

After the steering rack was replaced - it drove perfect for 2 weeks, then the wobble was back, with the symptoms above.

Several expert independents remain baffled with the issue.

Has anyone come across such symptoms before? :wallbash:

Or should I call it a day .....

Put it on one of the newer ramps used for MOTs that measure wheel damping and see if anything is seen

How do you know the front right wheel wobbles?

Nick Froome

Hi Nick, It can be felt in the steering and pedals and floor when the 'wobble' occurs. Also when going around a roundabout doing 20mph, it happens then.

are they original mercedes alloy wheels fitted?

I still think it's the beginnings of a torque converter rumble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom