W211 Gear Selector Issue's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

veronicatnorris

Car
veronicatnorris
Hi all,

Newbie Mercedes owner here.
I'm really loving my 'magic carpet' W211 but it has started to develop a few 'quirks'.

One of which is some odd gear selector behaviour, I've tried searching the forum but not found anything similar to my issues.

I have an intermittent problem which seems to be happening more often than not now, where I am unable to move from N to R with my foot on the brake pedal. If I release the brake then I can move the lever to R without any problem, also as I have discovered if I engage hold and release the brake pedal I can move from N to R fine, it's only when my foot is physically on the brake pedal when I can't move the gear selector.

When I was playing around with the gear selector I actually found that even without this intermittent issue I have another permanent incorrect behaviour which is possibly related.
If I start in P, then I do have to press the brake to be able to move to R, as expected, but from here on in I can release the brake pedal and then can freely move the gear selector from R to N to D and then back through N, R and back to P again all without having the brake depressed.

The latest finding is that Tiptronic has stopped working too...

I've tried the ECU reset procedure but no change.
I only have a basic code reader and that has nothing.

Any idea's where I should start looking?

brake pedal switch , and an error code scan .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom