W211 Glow Plug and Diesel leak issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedderd

Car
E270CDi
Hi all,

Can anyone drop me a line on the below, which I have just been advised by my indy on a diagnosis visit (W211 270CDI, 53/2003):

1) I have the glow plug light on most of the time. I think I can recall this starting when I travelled through some really big floods recently. Indy has advised that there is a problem with the output stage and they have said I need to replace the controller and all glow plugs. Having been reading on here and googling, it appears that the glow plugs are pretty much DIY (with difficult access, maybe removing engine cover). Am I right in thinking the output stage is just the following part: 0285454032 ? This looks nothing more than a relay. I have been quoted £440, which I would love to not have to part with ! The car however starts and runs fine.

2) I have a small diesel leak from the pump in the engine bay. Not a big leak, but starting to make a mess apparently. Quoted £1200 to replace !!! Help :crazy:. I am a pretty competent diy mechanic. Possible to manage this myself ?

Thanks for the help.

That's enough to scrap the car.

Get it on Star to pin point what exactly needs replacing and save your self some ££

It has been on the Star - the Output Stage Controller is what they said.

0285454032 according the google picture search - looks like proper part.

Try ebay? Costs about 40£-100£, even you get faulty one, worth to try twice? Plug may have gone too, try measure ohms when you remove relay module. Plugs are prone to stuck and then snap, do search to tricks avoid snapping.

Pump seal thread
Rebuilding a Bosch high pressure CP3 fuel pump - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

But often leak may come from hoses connected to pump, unless clearly coming under pump flange (difficult to see). Even refurbished pumps costs only few hundreds.

Hi

Leaking pumps on that engine is usually the ancillaries seals on the pump copper and or rubber, fuel temp sensor B50 or Quantity control valve Y94.
The back of the fuel pump has a large o-ring seal but this will leak only engine oil unless there's catastrophic failure inside the pump its self.

Last edited:
Never replaced a relay on your model, usually just glow plugs, you can replace just the ones that have failed if you wish, as above diesel leak is usually the seals.

I would also initially go with seals and glow plug relay.

Before you spend a penny, I would go elsewhere to someone reputable as this garage seems to want to replace everything and will probably not. Second opinion may save you alot of cash

Really helpful replies all of you, thanks.

I have found a good guide here to troubleshoot:Mercedes Diesel Glow Plug Repair

I will do a step by step myself (digital multimeter) to establish. I will ask for the actual codes when I pick the car up in the morning. The garage itself is reputable Mercedes indy dealer, so I trust them.....but I see what you are saying that they may be 'replace everything' and it's guaranteed to be resolved.

I do have another couple of matters first, that they attribute to the main battery being weak (I replaced the aux batt earlier this year). I do get a brake warning on unlock, as well as sporadic 'convenience functions temporarily disabled' messages. So I am going to get battery early doors.

Diesel leak - spot on. I want to see where it is coming from first.

Thanks again. I will report back. I know you are dying to see the outcome :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom