W211 Glow Plug Faults P0670 2270-4 & 2137-4

Discussion in 'Engine' started by SatchW211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. SatchW211

SatchW211 New Member

Car:
    Mercedes W211 E320 CDI Sport
    Hi everybody, first post on this forum & i'm a newbie with a glow plugs question. Ive tried to do as much reading on the subject, but as with all things online, there is lots of conflicting info.

Basically i have a W211 E Class 320 CDI Sport which i have owned for just over 1 week. I love the car and runs fine, but every now and again it is slow to start and takes an extra 3-4 seconds. I always wait until the glow plug signal turns off, and it generally takes 2-3 seconds to turn off if the car is cold, or 1-2 seconds if it is warmer.

I have a few good spec diagnostic tools and so far have used the MD802 to diagnose the following codes

P0670 - Generic regarding the glow plug module circuit being open.

As i understand it, the circuit WOULD be open, if there was a faulty module/relay, and it would also be open if there was a faulty glow plug.

I then used the more advanced part of the tool to get the following codes

2270-4 which i think is the Mercedes equivilent to the P0670 code, (description reads at least one of the glow plugs is not actuated)

and an additional 2137-4 (description is glow plug cylinder 5 open circuit)

So, is it as straight forward as the cylinder 5 glow plug needs to be replaced?

I have read that a lot of people have got the P0670 code and simply replaced the module which has cured a lot of problems that owners have.

Oh, i would say that i have a little more smoke coming out of the back end than i would expect, but not industrial amounts.

Any help is appreciated, or any better advice as i'm keen to learn more on this subject.

Many thanks.:thumb:

2. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Replace number 5 plug and the control unit.

3. WG M-B

WG M-B Auhorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    C63 Wagon in black
    The module appears faulty for sure.
    If you want to check number 5 glow plug. Then just get a meter and do an ohms test on it