W211 Handbrake Won't Release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Stanton

Hi

Looking for thoughts/experience of similar and how it can be fixed.

My W211 E220 (04) has had a history of the handbrake not releasing when the lever is pulled and MB could never find the problem. This goes back to when it was just a couple of years old and under warranty.

It gets to the point now that I need to drive away while pulling hard repeatedly on the release handle and waiting for it to free after a few yards.

This has always been a cold weather issue and once release is fine until the car becomes cold again.

To complicate matters there seems to be a double release action/failure. Sometimes even after the mechanical release has worked the dashboard light/warning sound stays on for a further few pulls on the lever. Again, only when cold.

My two local indie's seem to have closed which means I'm back to main dealer for another investigation although I'm hoping the severity and consistency of it now makes it traceable and fixable.

Could this be just a level of tension in the cable that needs adjusting or am i likely to be looking at replacement parts and labour (and if so - any views on the size of bill).

Thanks in advance!

I expect just some lubrication and adjustment is all that is needed.

Thanks for the prompt reply! Let's hope that's all it is then.

where is best places to lube to get the foot pedal to pop right up ?? 2004 e class

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom