W211 Headlight cover steamy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

Hi all,

I have a w211 E-class, gave it a nice wash and dry in the morning. Just came back from a ride now, and noticed that the headlight and sidelight cover on the drivers side are steamed up from inside. It was perfect it the morning, never been like this before and im not sure if this is a problem or not and how it can be cleared. The passengers side is clear, perfect.

Heres a pic of how it looks right now:

16062007043.jpg

What is wrong?

Thanks,

Digisatman

It's leaked water into the unit past the seal.

Try removing the bulb for a few hours and maybe play a heat gun into the unit. If it does it again the lamp will need removing and either a new seal or sealing with silicone.

is it a DIY job, how hard is it? Bearing in mind, i dont have a clue how to do this. mods please close this duplicate thread. sorry

Last edited:
Changed a bulb recently??

Likely that the boot/rubber is not seated correctly and it's let warm/moist air in that has since condensated. best thing to do is remove the lamp and remove the bung and take it in the house to dry out in a warm dry place.

It may still leave a slight misty effect to the inside of the lens. A member here suggested swilling with vinegar would remove it, but I can't say whether it would work or not.

HTH

nope, havent even touched it for a while now. I have xenons fitted, so unsure how easy it is to take everything out a dry it?

It's bumper off to remove the lamp unit.

As said check the rear grommet then dry in situ and observe.

In that case it's the front seal. In addition the xenons don't create enough heat to dry the unit out.

Perhaps a hair dryer rather than a heat gun.
I've also removed the bulb(s), and parked it facing the sun in the past (happens now & again on my Lexus). This usually does the trick.

Perhaps a hair dryer rather than a heat gun.
Heat gun should go cooler than a hairdryer.

I've also removed the bulb(s), and parked it facing the sun in the past (happens now & again on my Lexus). This usually does the trick.

Is that because it wants to return to the land of the Rising Sun?

You could just drive about for a while with your lights on, that will demist it.

But does not solve the basic problem of ingress of water though. Is it still under warranty??

Leave it in the sun and it will clear, this could be just an isolated incident where water got in. If it happens again I can send you the bumper removal info to do the job

nope, havent even touched it for a while now. I have xenons fitted, so unsure how easy it is to take everything out a dry it?
Is this a typo or do you really just have xenon lights? I thought the 211 had bi-xenon what's its?

If this isn't a typo then perhaps the installer should be resolving this issue if you lack the confidence to attempt the repair.

Good luck,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom