W211 Headlights fading, or is it my eyes??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefibreguy

Car
2012 Range Rover Sport
Hi All,

Have a 2003 W211, with xenons.

Lately I have had the strangest feeling!!!! that my headlight are not as bright as they used to be, & I rely more on the main beam these days - screw the guys coming the other way - is what my dad always used to say :rock:

I always clean them, & have noticed the lenses are a little cloudy!! Could this be the issue? Auto level seems to be working OK, can the lights be adjusted with out STAR? Or do i need to dig deep, & replace?

Thanks again.

Hi All,

I rely more on the main beam these days - screw the guys coming the other way - is what my dad always used to say :rock:

Are you serious? I mean really serious? If so then that has to be the most selfish (and dangerous) statement I have seen on this forum.
If you are serious, my best suggestion is that you get your eyes tested and treat other road users with the respect they deserve.

If not, it may be worth removing the haze from the lenses using fine wet & dry and T-cut - lots of threads on here about it.
It might also be worth checking the voltage across the headlight bulbs to make sure that you have a good supply and earth.
Lastly try some new bulbs - they can dim, and the filament can sag after a while so the beam doesn't go exactly where it should.
HTH.

Hi,
Two issues here, are your plastic lenses in need of some renovation, if they are cloudy then there are kits available to clean them, I have a big polisher that I bought for the old 300TD lenses which suffer badly from atmospheric oxidisation, and give them a good buffing with polishing compound. Some just use toothpaste. There is plenty of info on Youtube for this.
Second issue is that the HID bulbs may be getting weaker and you may just need to replace them. Plenty of choice on line for those in price and colour, but try to stick with the same colour ( intensity) 4500k as I recall. Regards Steve.

Seems my typing was slower in the reply . So just an echo as above.

Last edited:
Yes as above, the Xenon bulbs are probably on their way out. The degrade and lose their intensity / brightness over time.

Mine have faded too and I have replacements ready to fit which is a job for this weekend.

Just polish them. There are kits on ebay. They look like new afterwards

Cheers Guys, Looks like I'm gonna be busy this weekend!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Are you serious? I mean really serious? If so then that has to be the most selfish (and dangerous) statement I have seen on this forum.
If you are serious, my best suggestion is that you get your eyes tested and treat other road users with the respect they deserve.

If not, it may be worth removing the haze from the lenses using fine wet & dry and T-cut - lots of threads on here about it.
It might also be worth checking the voltage across the headlight bulbs to make sure that you have a good supply and earth.
Lastly try some new bulbs - they can dim, and the filament can sag after a while so the beam doesn't go exactly where it should.
HTH.

This was in Pakistan, where at night, if you dare travel on the mountain roads, & you didn't have 10 KC 'Daylighters' on the front of your car Audi Quattro style, you were a dead man!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom