W211 heated rear window.... strange!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B3RJO

Car
2008 E280cdi sport
I have a 2008 E280 sport saloon, only two weeks old. Used the heated rear screen for the first time and the top 5 rows don't demist:mad: .

Everything below the top 5 has vertical lines 1/4 way in from each side and they all work well. Looking at the screen there are gaps everywhere in the top 5 rows, convinced screen was faulty I went to the dealers and they say the top 5 rows are the radio antenna and NOT part of the heated rear window.......is that right?

I compared it to another E Class in the showroom and the gaps are the same:confused: , just confused.........I accept that the screen may be the radio antenna but surely it should be a HRW as well?

Does everyone elses screen do the same as my car?

Roger.

The dealer is right that the rear window has a few antenna wires that are not supposed to be part of the HRW. It should not be any significant portion of the rear window that isn't heated. You cannot use those antenna wires for heating, it would destroy the receiver sensitivity.

Look very carefully at the lines, there has to be a gap somewhere, have you removed any stickers from the window?

Look very carefully at the lines, there has to be a gap somewhere, have you removed any stickers from the window?

Do you think that could break the wire? I would want to remove a sticker from my rear window (inside).

Yep deff, heat up the sticker first!

not touched it..............

Not touched the screen and no stickers on it at all. It just doesn't heat the top 5 rows. Perhaps the dealer is correct then:eek: .

Roger.

I've noticed mine is exactly the same, perhaps its meant to be like that.

I thought I would, but now I'll be more careful than I perhaps would have been before your warning. Thanks.
Now that the question has been answered I will hopefully be forgiven for going off topic.

I used Scumbag's redundant hair dryer to remove our rear stickers. I set the thing as hot as possible and just applied gentle pressure to disturb the gunge. I think I used meths to remove any residual sticky stuff but was well pleased with the result. (I objest to being an advertising billboard) :eek: ;)

Regards
John

Now that the question has been answered I will hopefully be forgiven for going off topic.

I used Scumbag's redundant hair dryer to remove our rear stickers. I set the thing as hot as possible and just applied gentle pressure to disturb the gunge. I think I used meths to remove any residual sticky stuff but was well pleased with the result. (I objest to being an advertising billboard) :eek: ;)

Regards
John

Thanks for the advice. The sticker I would remove is pretty low at the rear window, sounds like the glass survives from the stress when a limited area is heated. I guess it is difficult to avoid heating the glass when trying to get the sticker softened. Or perhaps the sticker would not need as much heat as I'm assuming.

Thanks for the advice. The sticker I would remove is pretty low at the rear window, sounds like the glass survives from the stress when a limited area is heated. I guess it is difficult to avoid heating the glass when trying to get the sticker softened. Or perhaps the sticker would not need as much heat as I'm assuming.
I'm sure you will see how it copes once you point the hair dryer. All you need is sufficient heat to disturb the very strong adhesive, from memory the sticker I removed actually went over the filaments (or wires :eek:) and I was more concerned with damaging these wires as opposed to any effects the heat might have on the glass. :)

Good luck
John

Which is what he did and why it's now redundant...
One man's lack of follicular occupation is another man's free gratuitous hair drying appliance :devil: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom