w211 heavy steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrissoar1

Car
w211 e320 cdi, 1935 austin 12/4, 1967 mgbgt, 311 Sprinter
2004 e320 cdi w211

Have taken for engine diagnostics and had faults cleared, engine management light. Unfortunately by bad coincidence upon leaving indie steering is very heavy, indie checked tyres, belt, fluid level etc but nothing obvious.

Steering remains constantly stiff at whatever speed and with front end jacked up, resistance to manually turning wheel direction is equal with engine running or not.

I can hear pas pump hissing as it normally does when turning at standstill.

My question is what is the most likely component to be at fault:
Wheel speed sensor
steering solenoid
pump or rack?:dk:

And how do I test them to confirm the culprit?:confused:

It sounds like the steering rack to me.

Can you emphasise how much resistance there is in the steering?

It will probably be the sensor on the rack. A diagnostic check with a Star will confirm.

Hi, when turning road wheels side to side, hell of a lot of force is required, really need to get some weight behind it. Steering wheel can no longer be turned by a single finger but requires both hands and doesnt recentralise like it would normally do. It feels like I'm driving my 1935 Austin. If only it was as trouble free as the austin.

If it is the rack, try these people;
Power Steering Rack | Power Steering Boxes - Kelly Bray Steering

I had an L200 and the rack went, Mitsubishi wanted £2983+VAT and Kelly Bray did me a reconditioned rack for £400 and gave me £75 for my ruined one, so £325 all in.
Excellent customer service as well, very helpful and knowledgeable.

Unfortunately, I havent sorted it yet, its doing wonders for my upper arms! I used my wifes car yesterday and realised just how heavy my steering was.

I am just going to live with it for now as I have spent far too much chasing problems with very little result on this merc. What was a bargain is quickly turning into a money pit.

When I get round to sorting it I shall post what the problem is. I take it you may be experiencing the same with your steering or have you managed to sort it?

Chris,

The cars new to me, (one owner, 34K, full dealer history) but has felt heavy from the start, heaviest car I've driven in fact, feel I'm having to haul it around. Tyres and fluid are OK, tyres at correct pressure, though wear pattern on drivers side is odd, both shoulders showing signs of wear, suggesting under inflation. Have noted that the nearside bottom ball joint is new, though drivers side is original.

Have a 'complimentary vehicle health check' courtesy of Mercedes, so will see what the dealer says, hopefully it will include a Star printout, so if any sensors are playing up it should be obvious. Though intuition and feel suggest to me it's a mechanical issue. Still that's what's a warranty is for lol.

If anything shows up I'll post it on here.

Bernd

Chris,

The difference between us is that you know something has changed on your car, my 'problem' is one of 'new to me' and having nothing to compare to.

Anyway had the car in at the local stealers today, put on the star, all codes cleared and subjectively it feels 'lighter', though in discussion with their Master Technician, and noting the tyre wear described in my earlier post it was felt that following the fitting of a new near side bottom ball joint, the front end had not been set up.

Consequently had the front end checked and yep the alignment wasquite a bit off, so looks like I'm fixed. Good luck with yours.

Bernd

Glad to hear your sorted, have had a check of my bottom ball joints and would say that one is definately tighter than the other. Checked by removing steering each end and turning each suspension and wheel unit back and forth. Will definately have it checked on star when I take it for its service in very near future.

Thanks again for replying.

Chris,

I spoke too soon. I have just driven to our place in France, 700 miles 3 up, boot full and 80 litres of fuel, the cars steering is awful, from the straight ahead point turning either way is very heavy, though the weight is different left to right, it's 'dead' very little feel so....?

Had two people look over it, an Independent and the stealer, they say rack appears OK, no faults showing, pump is OK, bottom ball joints Ok.

When I get back at the end of the month it'll be going somewhere like WIM, for a full alignment, my intuition ( after learning how to set up my old Caterham) is my problem is a camber/castor issue - we'll see lol

I hope you get it sorted, will be interested to know how you go. I havent had the time to look any deeper into mine, Thanks for the update and best of luck.

Check the sensor on the st. Rack. This will probably be the cause of your issues. Itbcan be tested with the aid of a star.

Thanks, will check on star when I get round to having it serviced.

Chris,

Had mine at WIM today, Tony and his team worked their magic, just about every setting was out, and some by a hideous amount, after all the set up work and the installation of the appropriate adjusting bolts in the bottom wishbones the car has been transformed.

Am a happy chappy, if a poorer one lol.

Bernd

Suspect I have similar problem with "sensor" on rack, however local main dealer advises sensor NOT available as separate component, only complete rack at 1305, plus the dreaded. Strange as Exeter main dealer already suggested could be sensor on rack or rack itself? Can anyone explain what this sensor actually is? Have had several different descriptions: Rotary valve related to parameter steering control, transducer? Speed sensor unit, solenoid valve? Believe it is related to adjustment of power steering effect based on vehicle speed and that it is a known problem. So how can I get hold of a new one without buying completed rack. Sincerely appreciate any ideas/suggestions. Many thanks, Chris

I know it's not a merc but my new shape Range Rover developed ultra heavy steering last year. Much dread at potential expense turned out to be nothing more than the universal joints of the steering column (before they enter any power assistance) seizing up. I small tin of WD40 and some wiggling and it was free again. Followed it up by a proper lube and the problem hasn't reoccurred. Do Mercs have a similar set up?

I too am looking just for the sensor for the rack.
Anyone knows what's its called and where one can be located from?

Main MB dealers, but at daft prices. Still trying to trace once direct from makers. MB will likely advise that they cannot be purchased separately, but they can and I'm sure I even have the part number somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom