W211 How to disable passenger airbag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gareth

Car
MX-5 Recaro
Guys, how is this done? I know there is an automatic child seat recognition system, but I'm guessing you have to have a Mercedes child seat for it to work? (which I don't have) so what if I want to put my own child seat in the front? How do I disable it manually?

RTFM ? For a start kids seats aren't allowed in the front by law.

I'm sure a key activated switch or similar is possible, but I can't recall how.

You can fool it. The airbag is not activated if there is no one in the seat.

If it's anything like mine, the child seat base actually straddles the main seat squab, therefore it does not 'trip' the pressure switch in the seat. The car 'knows' there is someone there - the seatbelt is fastened - but as the pressure switch is not tripped then it seems to revert to deactivating the airbag.

On the odd occasion when I have done this, the central warning light (on the switch cluster panel) has remained on throughout the journey.

I hasten to add that I am talking about a booster seat base, and not a full child seat.

There are plenty who will say that, no matter what - kids, and you, are much safer with them tucked away in the back...

RTFM ? For a start kids seats aren't allowed in the front by law.

I'm sure a key activated switch or similar is possible, but I can't recall how.

Really? Our Renault Grand Scenic has ISOFIX on the front seat and is freely able to switch the airbag off.

You can fool it. The airbag is not activated if there is no one in the seat.

If it's anything like mine, the child seat base actually straddles the main seat squab, therefore it does not 'trip' the pressure switch in the seat. The car 'knows' there is someone there - the seatbelt is fastened - but as the pressure switch is not tripped then it seems to revert to deactivating the airbag.

On the odd occasion when I have done this, the central warning light (on the switch cluster panel) has remained on throughout the journey.

I hasten to add that I am talking about a booster seat base, and not a full child seat.

There are plenty who will say that, no matter what - kids, and you, are much safer with them tucked away in the back...

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but when driving the car with no-one in the passenger seat the light on the dash for the airbag being deactivated is not lit.

Children up to 3 years old

"In the Front Seat The child MUST use the correct child restraint.
It is illegal to carry a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front, which is protected by an active frontal airbag. "

So if you disactivate the airbag, no problem.

Basicly you cant turn it off unless you buy a MB child seat.

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but when driving the car with no-one in the passenger seat the light on the dash for the airbag being deactivated is not lit.

Yes - that's quite right. Now, without having anyone sat there, clip in the seatbelt. The light comes on and stays on. The airbag is still deactivated - the light confirms it - but this time the car is giving you a visual warning. It 'knows' the seat is occupied by something. Now sit someone in there and the light goes out. Airbag now activated as it knows the seat is properly occupied by someone who might need it!

My point was - that if the child seat does not trip the pressure switch, then the airbag will by default be deactivated - notified to you by the warning light remaining lit.

ah I see, but i think the baby seat would trip it, pulling the seat belt tight presses it down into the seat base, but thanks anyway.

It is illegal to carry a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front, which is protected by an active frontal airbag. "

Wow okay I didn't know that. Thanks.

I bought a pair of Mercedes transponders off ebay a while back and it did the trick on my w211 estate with my non-Mercedes branded child seats. Remember that you DO need to have both transponders on the seat under the child seat for the front passenger air bag to deactivate properly.

Here's the link to one current available on ebay... Mercedes Transponder

This is the only way to deactivate the airbags on the new models as everything is now electronically controlled. The transponders bascially activate the electronic sensors within the front passenger seat that deactivates the airbags.

Last edited:

I don't think this is at all safe, as in an accident situation, it might be possible for the weight to settle on the seat squab, activate the pressure sensor & then bang goes the airbag. It's just not worth the risk!

RTFM ? For a start kids seats aren't allowed in the front by law

This is not true for all child seats, only rear facing.

This is true.

However,
One can use child seats in the front as long as they are forward facing(but this means only for older children), even if the airbag is not deactivated. This would not be illegal.
Would recommend putting the seat as far back & as high as possible, so that they are as far from airbag as poss. Also best not let them have a dummy if the airbag is active!

Kids are however statistically safer in the rear!

MB bags cannot be deactivated except with transponder, or interrupting the circuit manually. There is no switch or dealer option

Last edited:
it seems currently all transponders they sell on ebay do exactly opposite - they make sure the passenger airbag is always on.

anyone has a transponder to borrow? I'll pay a week rentals :)

Base ball bat?? lol

My car's manual (W203) clearly states that unless the MB Child Seat Recognition option (ISOFIX) is fitted, the passenger airbag light on the dash has no function at all - it illuminates briefly with ignition to test the bulb, but that is all, and it can not be relied on as an indication to whether the passenger airbag is enabled or not.

Really? Our Renault Grand Scenic has ISOFIX on the front seat and is freely able to switch the airbag off.

I'd much rather have a kiddy on the front seat than those death seats in the boot!

I'd much rather have a kiddy on the front seat than those death seats in the boot!

Does your car not have a rear bench between the front seats and the boot....?

Last time I saw this seat arrangement was on an Austin 10.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom