w211 instrument binnacle lights problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
My 2007 w211 had a strange problem the other day.When i got in it at 5 pm and turned the ignition on there were no dashboard lights at all.The car started and ran fine and all the exterior lights were ok-the only other problem was that the mirrors did not fold in when i locked it.The next morning everything was back to normal but the engine management light was on-the clock even wound itself round to the correct time when i turned the ignition on.Took it to the dealers(Swindon)and they said there was a problem with the binnacle and it needed to be changed-cost(wait for it) £983.They also said they had never encountered this problem.I asked them if Mercedes would be willing to make a goodwill payment as the car is only 4 months out of warranty and has only done 45k with full MB history-they got back to me later and said they would cover 50% which i think is fair enough.
Has anyone ever heard of this problem and do you think 50% is a fair share to pay? I am not sure if this a problem that can be sorted at an independent garage or whether that would be cheaper anyway.It is not a fuse problem-so they said,and i could find no reference to a fuse or relay in the handbook.
Many thanks for your wisdom(in advance).

This could possibly be a problem with your battery, not the binnacle. Charge your battery fully or get it checked out. Seems to be the time of year for failing batteries....

Mine failed the other week with all sorts of weird dashboard problems including a clock that wound itself round for ages, strange errors and disabling of boot lock and various minor electrical items!

A cell had failed in my battery and a replacement has cured everything.

Battery replacement way cheaper than a new binnacle! £82 from ECP, £85 from MB....

This could possibly be a problem with your battery, not the binnacle.

Agree with this, get you battery tested first. Also get alternator checked out at same time. I had both of these go a few weeks ago and I'm sure one fault caused the other. Didn't realise there was a problem until it was too late :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom