W211 instrument panel status line stuck on speed, and km/h too

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calum

Car
2005 W169 A150
I'm a little confused as to whether this is supposed to happen. Just got my new 'E', and I'm confused by the "status line" on the instrument panel; that's the line above the trip meter.

i.e the standard display is:

1. outside temp

2. "status line"
3. trip meter

4. odometer

The manual suggests, under Settings, that the status line can be set to show either outside temp, or speed, but I don't have a setting to control this. The manual also says, on a different page that either outside temp or speed can be set as the status line display, "except for the UK, where the digital speedo is always displayed".

So, two questions:

o Why would they restrict the status line to always showing speed, just in the UK?

o Why is it in *km/h*, and not mph? I have miles set as my distance unit, and if I choose to show the speed (in line 1 of the display, above) it does show in mph, but the status line (3 above) is still stuck on km/h?

So, to sum up, it seems that the status line is permanently stuck on km/h, regardless of settings. Is it just me that sees this (and thinks it a bit strange?).

thanks much,
c.

The part showing kmph down the bottom is so us brits can easily keep to speed limits :rolleyes: when driving abroad. It's actually very handy ;)

Yup, ta, I did wonder about that; bit silly though, when you can easily switch the entire display to km with a different setting, no?

and why force it the status line to always speed, and not temp? Same reason?

thanks...

Perhaps it's also because the main speedo itself is now marked only in mph. My previous Mercs have always had km/h in smaller numerals.

Yep, it's a legal requirement to have a km/h visible all the time and they have got rid of the metric scale from the outer edge of the speedo

Accept it and move on :D

interesting, thanks. Was just wondering. Thanks for clearing it up.

I spent quite a while trying to switch mine too, as the manual does suggest it can be done. Would be nice to display the temp, and have the main screen on mpg etc.

This is annoying me too, on my recently acquired C270. I find myself driving along and constantly converting the displayed KPH figure into MPH. I suppose I'll get used to it after a while.

Rory said:
This is annoying me too, on my recently acquired C270. I find myself driving along and constantly converting the displayed KPH figure into MPH. I suppose I'll get used to it after a while.

If you look a bit further up there's a big needle moving round :D

Aswall said:
If you look a bit further up there's a big needle moving round :D
I can't see it most of it - the steering wheel's in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom