w211 intercooler/turbo hose came off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thq

Car
w211
On my way home this evening there was a loud 'whoos' noise and loss of power. A little further i popped the bonnet and fond that the intercooler hose just near to the air filter had become diconneted.I pushed it back in as best i could and limped home.
My question is:
is this common?
why did it come off?
any suggestions welcome
many thanks

I had similar on my ML when I first acquired it.
Removing the hose completely to check for splits, I noticed it was the original hose and clip (9 years old), however the mark on the hose from the clip told me it had not been fitted correctly from day one.
Proven by a 9 year build-up of oily crud below the hose.
For better access to fit the clip, I removed the headlamp and top cross member.

So, in your case, check with dealer if there should be a clip on it.

I don't know if it is common but it happened on my E270 a couple of years ago. The dealer charged about £20 for the hose and new clips. I got mine fitted for about another £30.

Had a good look today and the plastic housing is broken. Hose is ok. Can anyone tell me where ti get that housing and what is proper name or part number for it. Thanks

This is broken

Attachments

• 20140823_003921.jpg
    20140823_003921.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 89
More close up

Attachments

• 20140823_003921.jpg
    20140823_003921.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20140823_003933.jpg
    20140823_003933.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 71
I think that's called the charge air pipe. It's the one connected directly to the turbo isn't it?. Had same happen to mine it's held on by three bolts easy enough to swap out yourself.

Forgot to mention when it happend to me I managed to rig a system using cable ties one round the rubber pipe then one round the solid plastic pipe. Then I put two ties going through those to pull the pipe into place. It held up while I went to mercedes to buy the pipe and return home to fit just don't floor it as the cable ties won't hold up forever.

Yes its the one connected to the turbo. Went to mercedes and ordered it, they didnt have one in stock. What do you think caused it to come out/ break?

That's metal v plastic

The lugs on the aluminium neck move back n forth as pressure is generated and released,
this wears the metal lugs down but more so the plastic housing gets damaged, also depending what charge pressure pipes are involved,
you will find usually all of them end up popping off due to wear at some point, a common fix on VW is to use self tapping screws.

:)

PS:

In the image you provided the rubber sealing ring is missing from the end of the aluminium charge pipe.
A replacement one is green the old one is black, make sure it's replaced before refitting.

Last edited:
That's metal v plastic

The lugs on the aluminium neck move back n forth as pressure is generated and released,
this wears the metal lugs down but more so the plastic housing gets damaged, also depending what charge pressure pipes are involved,
you will find usually all of them end up popping off due to wear at some point, a common fix on VW is to use self tapping screws.

:)

PS:

In the image you provided the rubber sealing ring is missing from the end of the aluminium charge pipe.
A replacement one is green the old one is black, make sure it's replaced before refitting.

where can i get that seal from?

I changed two of the seals on my turbo pipe and I can't remember exact price to the penny but I do know I handed over a 2 pound coin and told the guy to keep the few pence change as couldn't be ****d to wait while he ran round looking for it . But the again I have found that for so e reason and I have no idea why prices on parts do fluctuate from dealer to dealer. Either that or I was under charged and actually got something cheaper than it should have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom