W211 Interior Wood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OGiii

Car
W211 E200 K - they don't make em like they used to, which is why it's been replaced with a 911 :)
I may be going mad but I'm sure I've read about somebody replacing the wood trim in their E Class. I've looked around and can't find it though.

I was interested in the thread about chaning the pedals, the cost doesn't look bad at all so that got me thinking - I'm getting a classic but I'm not too keen on brown wood trim. The Avantgarde has a nice dark Bird's-Eye Maple.

Is it possible to buy the trim pieces? If so, does anybody have any idea of what sort of cost is involved.

And finally, do you reckon it will be a ball ache to do it or easy peasey?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers
OG

Originally posted by OGiii
Is it possible to buy the trim pieces? If so, does anybody have any idea of what sort of cost is involved.
With a helpful parts dept you could buy 99% of your car over the counter, you can definitely buy the trim pieces :) . They will either be priced ridiculously low or prohibitively expensive, it's random which way it will go! I suspect it will be in the region of £400-500 for a full set. Fitting it will be easy, just unclip or in some cases unscrew the old pieces and then clip or screw the new ones in. You used to need to know which pieces were which in the good old days, but no doubt you have blanks or covers on your car where the avantgarde may have an option or button you don't get on a classic. Makes ordering a lot easier I'm sure :)

.....were any other finishes available for the 202 apart from the "walnut" and the "carbon" .... I've just got hold of a birds eye maple wheel .... which looks black under most conditions, but is VERY funky in direct sunlight ... wouldn't mind doing the rest of the car with it at some point, but I'll bet its not available :(

Thanks Shude.

I'm going to the dealer next week to pick something up for my wife's car. If I get somebody helpful on the desk I'll ask them to price it up.

Cheers
OG

If I get somebody helpful on the desk I'll ask them to price it up.

If you get somebody helpful let us all know.:D

Most of the bits in mine are just clip in, the only more difficult bit would be the cd changer compartment. There aren't any holes in the wood for switches as they are all in the plastic strip which you wouldn't be changing.

Thanks for the replies.

I was talking to a guy last night who has just swapped the wood in his 3 series BM for Aluminium trim. Only cost £130 for the lot.

I'll let you know.

Cheers
OG

Originally posted by sym
.....were any other finishes available for the 202 apart from the "walnut" and the "carbon" .... I've just got hold of a birds eye maple wheel .... which looks black under most conditions, but is VERY funky in direct sunlight ... wouldn't mind doing the rest of the car with it at some point, but I'll bet its not available :(
The w202 was available with some other interior finishes, but they were designo options. Bird's eye maple was one of them. Koolvin has seen a w202 with bird's eye maple interior from the factory, but my parts dept said they wouldn't be able to order it without knowing the VIN, on the EPC all the trim looks the same, it's a line drawing ;) . The cheapest piece of interior trim there is, is the cover on the armrest, costs about £4 or something, sometime soon I am going to order every possible combination of trim code for that part number, might mean I get 10 of them in total, but if one of them is bird's eye maple then we can make up a complete list of interior pieces matching that trim code. The pile of covers can then be sold individually on ebay, or the stealership parts dept might keep them on their shelves if they're feeling generous, after all I would be ordering a couple of hundred pounds worth of trim when we know the code!

The alternative is to get some ultra-thin veneer, as already discussed on another thread :)

Thanks for the replies.

I was talking to a guy last night who has just swapped the wood in his 3 series BM for Aluminium trim. Only cost £130 for the lot.

I'll let you know.

Cheers
OG

The three series only has a thin strip across the dash board though, in the W211 there is wood on the dash, all the doors, the cd cover, ashtrays and the centre console. Its also finished with an aliminium strip above the wood which will probably add a few ££'s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom