W211 isofix mistake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cribert

Car
Mercedes
Hi guys, brand new here. Just bought an e270 cdi with full merc service history from the original purchaser. Everything went well and one of the photos even had a car seat in the rear and stupidly I assumed it had isofix.

Alas, it doesn’t.

I’ve looked up retrofits however dunno how confident I’d feel with a newborn in there.

Any options other than sell it on?

If you install it correctly, there's no reason for a lack of confidence. - Ultimately it's just two steel brackets that allow you to anchor the seat to the chassis.

I felt very confident with two child seats (0 and 2) buckled in the back of my 211 and drove all the way to Greece for a Summer holiday. Nothing to worry about if you have a good quality child seat.

Thanks guys. Seriously stupid on my part. The car is decent and I’d like to keep it. Just need to convince the other half

Well, "Kidsafe" (I think that's what it's called) in Australia told my sister not to bother with isofix. - It's probably better in Europe, but it's not as standardised as you'd expect so some people were finding their isofix seat wouldn't attach to the car (and an incorrectly fitted seat is almost as bad as no seat).

When she was visiting the UK she told me not to bother with sourcing an isofix seat for my nephew despite the CLK having the feature. - I would like to have used them, because it's probably the only time I'm going to.

The Isofix in my CLS was a real PITA to get the seat to attach and an even bigger one to release! With the seat locking tabs extended it was very easy to scratch the car leather. I went back to using the seat belts ...

The Isofix in my CLS was a real PITA to get the seat to attach and an even bigger one to release! With the seat locking tabs extended it was very easy to scratch the car leather. I went back to using the seat belts ...

Every week when I look after the 2 year old twins I have to transfer 2 isofix seats from one car to another. It's a real PITA. They are stupidly heavy and it can be difficult oir sometimes near impossible to release the iso fix catches. Seat damage avoided so far but I can see it easily happening. Iso fix seats with a separate base make sense for new born babies but once the baby gets too heavy to lift out at the same time as the seat, which is approx. 12 months old, then for me the advantages are gone especially if the seat and base have to be removed regularly. The 4 year old granddaughter has a belt secured booster seat which although much larger is vastly lighter and easier to handle.

Are all seats able to be fitted with just belts? Or is it the case all are isofix with some also taking belts?

I used to work in the trade. The only point of isofix is to remove the "idiot" factor. If you can fit a belt mounted seat correctly and this may include kneeling with all your weight to get tight enough this is the safest option. But explaining that to a new mum is the hardest part !

Thanks. I’m happy to fit with a belt for sure but as said before I think the whole isofix thing becomes a bit obsessive. I myself feel like I’ve been lured in too!

I have isofix fittings but have never used them. As above, if the seatbelt is fitted correctly, secure and tight, that will hold the seat and child in safely.

Are all seats able to be fitted with just belts? Or is it the case all are isofix with some also taking belts?
As I am aware yes because not every car has ISOfix fixing points and front seats don’t have ISOfix points at all.
The only issue is with higher group nonISO child seats since those must be equipped with its own belts so the child can seat secured, lower groups always come with usually 2 belts.

THanks for the help guys really appreciate it. I think a trip to mothercare is in order!

I used to work in the trade. The only point of isofix is to remove the "idiot" factor. If you can fit a belt mounted seat correctly and this may include kneeling with all your weight to get tight enough this is the safest option. But explaining that to a new mum is the hardest part !
It was originally a German idea I believe, and then the EC adopted it... then elsewhere in the world. - Hence it not being as standard as you'd expect, and the difficulty sometimes in getting the seat to attach.

Probably if you buy an MB car seat it's guaranteed to fix, and as they don't make them; that probably means Britax?

I firm up the non ISO fix Recaro Young Sport with two cable ties from top handle to the headrest stays .

Probably if you buy an MB car seat it's guaranteed to fix, and as they don't make them; that probably means Britax?
Yup, Britax seats with MB covers and 100% mark-up ...

Isofix is nothing more than a pair of anchors bolted to the chassis. Which you can buy from any breakers yard or main dealer. There’s no need to compromise when it comes to safety. I use Isofix where I can. Even now with a seat booster.

If you will be moving the seat in and out of the car frequently, then Isofix is the easiest system to use. It simply clips into fittings in the seat base. On our child seat, you don’t use the top tether - a foot comes from the base of the child seat and stands on the footwell and this prevents it toppling forward.

In my Mercedes, the Isofix fittings are hidden behind a slit in the seat leather. It is very difficult to insert the Isofix prongs on the child seat into this unless you first insert a plastic sleeve (provided with the seat) that makes a clear path for the prong to attach to the fittings in the seat.

If you are thinking of a child seat secured by a seat belt, ask for a demonstration in your car. It can be very complicated, involving the seat belt being threaded through clips etc at the back of the child seat.

By the way, if you are getting an Isofix seat, consider getting one of the ones that swivels. It works for kids up to four years old. The child can sit rear facing (safer), forward facing, but most conveniently the seat can swivel through 90 deg so that the seat faces the door opening when you’re putting the child in and out. They’re not cheap....
The best rotating and swivel car seats UK

Had ISOFIX in both of my 211s and my 212 and never had an issue using it with multiple seats/bases.

I always use a seat protector pad though to protect the (soft) nappa leather seats. Never had an issue with scratching or damage.

If it were mine, I would probably speak to MSL/Dronsfields etc and ask them for a quote for all the parts needed - there’s not a lot to it. Certainly no point in swapping a whole car for it! :)

As you’re looking at seat options for a newborn I think you’ll find the ISOFIX useful. As said the base can stay put and you can bring baby out to the car ready strapped into their seat indoors. And although I wouldn’t recommend leaving a baby in the seat more than is necessary if you’re nipping to the shops for a few minutes or if they fall asleep in the car it can be a real help being able to bring them indoors whilst you unload them without the hassle of messing about with seatbelts in the cold/dark/rain etc.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom