w211 Isofix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bought the kit from Merc in Salisbury for £65 and it is now being fitted.

Out of interest, did it come with bolts or rivets?
It came with 4 rivets for each of the inside mounts, you’ll need an above average rivet gun to put them in. The outside mounts use 2 rivets and a bolt. The only challenge once fitted is getting the isofix mount visible as the back of the seat base obscures it. I wonder if cars optioned with iso fix have slightly different backs to the seat base.

It came with 4 rivets for each of the inside mounts, you’ll need an above average rivet gun to put them in. The outside mounts use 2 rivets and a bolt. The only challenge once fitted is getting the isofix mount visible as the back of the seat base obscures it. I wonder if cars optioned with iso fix have slightly different backs to the seat base.
Thanks for the info - it sounds like the same kit I have seen fitted to a friends 211. The 211s with the isofix option did have a slighlty different seat base, just little cut outs / notches for the isofix bars. My friend did pick up a seat base with the notches from ebay but didn't bother fitting it in the end.

I get pretty nervous when I hear these kits are being riveted in outside of the factory environment. The reason for my concern is based on almost two years of contracting in the car industry in the manufacturing of car seats.

Unless you have seen it and had to do maintenance on them you would not believe the scrutiny every riveting machine undertakes every time it is used ,and the scrutiny each rivet undergoes via camera/torque control systems , then controlled samples are taken to the lab for X-ray and diamond wheel cutting for analysis.

Note that these are not hand held machines but custom built floor standing high tech pieces of machinery.

Anything on the car during manufacture that relates to safety is classed as an 'A' process that can only be undertaken by an employee that has been trained in that particular process (i:e If the employee was absent or needed an toilet break they would usually be replaced by a trained supervisor or line manager) in my experience that was the fitting and testing of seat airbags and the installation of seatbelts and rivets including those that fit the seat skeleton to the floor rails. ANY discrepancy in an 'A' grade process brings the whole production line to a halt until it's sorted.

I am sure MB workshops have it covered as there is a weight limit to car seats and the children who rely on them to survive an accident . But we see (far too often) on here members who no longer trust MB workshops to change their oil , let alone rivet a safety system in place.

My 2p worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom