W211 kickdown issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

92Adam

Car
S211 E280cdi
Hi,
My S211 E280cdi 07 has done around 186k.
Thought best give it a gearbox service while having other bits done at the garage…
Since it’s come back it doesn’t kick down @ all…
I do a gearbox reset every time before driving & it works absolutely fine for about 20mins & then nothing…
No warning lights it will accelerate very slowly but will not kickdown…
Even with the paddles it will not drop gear…
The only time it holds its speed on the motorway for example is by using cruise control otherwise uphill it starts loosing acceleration as it will not kickdown…
But like I said I do a reset on the gearbox & it works fine for a little while & then nothing…

Also what I have noticed is when it stops working (kickdown) & is coming to a standstill there is a heavy jerk from the gearbox @ around 10mph before slowing down to a stop…

Any help appreciated & has anybody come across this before?

Sod’s law only start happening right after gearbox oil change!!!!

HELP🙏🏾

Last edited:
Hi,
My S211 E280cdi 07 has done around 186k.
Thought best give it a gearbox service while having other bits done at the garage…
Since it’s come back it doesn’t kick down @ all…
I do a gearbox reset every time before driving & it works absolutely fine for about 20mins & then nothing…
No warning lights it will accelerate very slowly but will not kickdown…
Even with the paddles it will not drop gear…
The only time it holds its speed on the motorway for example is by using cruise control otherwise uphill it starts loosing acceleration as it will not kickdown…
But like I said I do a reset on the gearbox & it works fine for a little while & then nothing…

Also what I have noticed is when it stops working (kickdown) & is coming to a standstill there is a heavy jerk from the gearbox @ around 10mph before slowing down to a stop…

Any help appreciated & has anybody come across this before?

Sod’s law only start happening right after gearbox oil change!!!!

HELP🙏🏾
Can’t help with the specifics buddy , but was the oil change , correct spec and oil level done by someone that knows what they are doing .
There may well be a logged fault code .

do you mean it wont kick down (accelerator pedal) or wont change down using the paddles or auto? As above it will almost certainly have a fault code stored in the system.

do you mean it wont kick down (accelerator pedal) or wont change down using the paddles or auto? As above it will almost certainly have a fault code stored in the system.
Apologies won’t kickdown full stop…
Nor with pedal or paddles…

Can’t help with the specifics buddy , but was the oil change , correct spec and oil level done by someone that knows what they are doing .
There may well be a logged fault code .
Garage is always very thorough & have been exceptional over the years so fully understand mistakes can be made…

They were the first port of call when realised issue & to be fair they were quite happy to check it over again…

I just put it out there in case anybody had come across this…

Appreciate all the help👍

Will keep you updated will take to the garage in the next couple of weeks…

As it came back with the fault the garage need to investigate. Why wait a couple of weeks?
It’s an ongoing fault so even when I reset it comes back…
Garage is up north & work permits me from travelling up there during the week…
But will get on top of it ASAP👍

Cheers. It sounds very much like the issue I've been experiencing. Did it cost much ?

Did you just get the actuator replaced, or the whole turbo system? I believe replacing the actuator alone is generally not recommended, as the repair doesn't tend to last?

Did you just get the actuator replaced, or the whole turbo system? I believe replacing the actuator alone is generally not recommended, as the repair doesn't tend to last?
Actuators are not available from Mercedes. They only supply them with a complete Turbocharger kit.

Actuators can be rebuilt, often the electric motor fails or the plastic gears break

Just the actuator…

Cheers. It sounds very much like the issue I've been experiencing. Did it cost much ?
About £80 from memory…

About £80 from memory…
Crikey! That's cheap. Be interested to know how it goes, as I suspect the actuator on mine is on its way out. I've seen a company that repairs them, but it costs about £140.

Crikey! That's cheap. Be interested to know how it goes, as I suspect the actuator on mine is on its way out. I've seen a company that repairs them, but it costs about £140.
£80 will almost certainly be an Ebay sourced part from China

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom