W211 Licence Plate Wiring Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Hi Folks

Until today everything was fine then today I got warnings that both licence plate lights are out. Quick look opening and closing the boot just a little, sometimes they come on but don’t seem as bright as they should. Thinking it's either a bad earth or the wiring up through the boot hinge, which I believe is a common fault.

Which hinge carries the wiring, is there a common place for the wiring to fail?

All hints/tips/comments/suggestions welcome.

left hand hinge, unclip the plastic cover and all will be revealed, will be a broken wire!

Great stuff, many thanks.

Got error on 3rd brake light on way home today so was pretty sure it was boot wiring. got cover off and sure enough theirs evidence of a previous repair just where the wiring flexes as the boot opens/closes. Didn't poke around too much, job for the weekend, but I'd almost bet somebody has just twisted wires togather and taped over.

Real thin wire on this, MB should have known that this was going to cause probalms. Weekend, better wire, soldering iron, tape. Looks fiddly but do'able.

Thanks for the info.

As suspected wiring fault

As suspected a broken wire on the loom between boot hinge and boot. As the boot opens and closes the wiring is flexed and over time the cores break. In my case a previous repair had failed. Shame as ion some ways the previous fix was a good one. New bit of wire cut in and soldered, joins covered in shrink wrap. The let down was the section of wire used was too long so it had been bent over causing a break.

Fiddly job but not difficult, just solder new bit of wire in, making sure it was just the right length, tape up job done.

Easy fix thanks to all the help and info here on the forum, thanks to all.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom