W211 lower control arm, can't get torque wrench in?

• Thread starter Deleted member 139109
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 139109

Ive just fitted some lower control arms, the wis says do not turn the bolt and tighten the nut, the bolts are not fluted bolts, there is not enough room to tighten the nuts with a torque wrench even though the wis tells you too, how do people on hear tighten them? Can I just tighten them from the bolt end with the torque wrench instead and hold the spanner on the nut?

I struggled with one so i turned it around Held the head of the bolt with the spanner and got the socket n wrench the other end, They should also be torqued up whilst the car is on the ground/or on ramps.

I just tightened them up with 2 spanners as tight as 2 steak pies would let me.

Ah right, will have a look tommorow, I will try turning the bolts round, the front of the car is currently on ramps with the bolts loose as it got too late tonight, will I be ok tightening it up like that or does the whole car have to be level?

Will I have to get the front wheels aligned again?

Will I have to get the front wheels aligned again?

I had to when mine were done. The toe went out.

Couldn't turn the bolts round, just tightened them as tight as I could with a spanner in the end

How do they set the wheel alignment , what can be moved ?

They can alter the camber of the wheels as the Arms have lugs inside, Which is why when fitting the arms you have to keep the bolt from turning and tighten it up via the nut only.
383408d1501313773-installing-front-camber-castor-bolts-thrust-arm-bushings-possible-diy-w203suspension696.jpg

file.php

OK had the wheels aligned this morning after replacing the lower control arms, the best they could get the camber was
FL +1.42
FR +1.49
Is this acceptable?

OK had the wheels aligned this morning after replacing the lower control arms, the best they could get the camber was
FL +1.42
FR +1.49
Is this acceptable?

Have you got a picture of the print out?

Nah I didn't get one, the toe was corrected okay, I only managed to get them figure for the front

Ive just fitted some lower control arms, the wis says do not turn the bolt and tighten the nut, the bolts are not fluted bolts, there is not enough room to tighten the nuts with a torque wrench even though the wis tells you too, how do people on hear tighten them? Can I just tighten them from the bolt end with the torque wrench instead and hold the spanner on the nut?

One way would be to use a 'crows foot' on the nut. There is a way to recalculate the actual torque applied though for short extensions it's fairly small.

Here's an example: https://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

As you can see the wishbone bush is slotted with lugs inside
$_1.JPG
Thanks. I was aware of the 4 slots I thought they were just locating pins for the bolt . my bolts did not have grooved slots or any kind of camber .so I assume they are only needed if the toe in toe out needs adjusting ??

The forward thrust arms are the same, Camber bolts is whats needed if you want to change the setting. A friend of mine did just that when he lowered his car. If its a normal bolt then yes they will only fit one way, Eg through the centre between the lugs

thanks merc85 , that confirms my theory .

Nothing to add to this tread but it is what makes this a great club to belong too,top quality advice and help.

Couldn't turn the bolts round, just tightened them as tight as I could with a spanner in the end

eat 2 steak pies wait an hour and you ll get em tighter.

Halfords sell a ‘Push Thru’ Socket set that does what you want.

Where in the Country are you? I could lend you my set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom