w211 lowering links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
I've seen a w211 e55k with lowering links, How does this work? can it be easily reversed and does it do any harm or help the Airmatic shocks?

Mine is fitted with adjustable lowering links.
The oem rigid links are removed and replaced with ones you can adjust to get the height as you require. IIRC my front ones are 7mm longer than oem to get maximum drop.

Easy to take them off and revert to oem but the rear one is a pig to get at. Haven't noticed any difference with the airmatic function and I've had mine on two years.

Airmatic

Thanks AMGeed, How does the Airmatic work? does it just firm up the shocks? or does it lower the ride height of the car?

Sorry for the daft question but i've never had a Mb with Airmatic:doh:

links are a good budget option, all airmatic works as normal afterwards!

3 modes

comfort - softer smoother ride
sport- slightly harder ride
sport2- lowered harsher ride but better for bendy roads

raise - raises the car for speed humps dips etc - takes a 10-15 secs to raise but good till 70mph where it`ll drop back down

Thanks Alps understood:thumb:

Any hints or tips to get to the rear link ? And what device is best for popping off the balljoints without stretching / breaking the plastic arms on the sensor

Regards

Lenny

Any hints or tips to get to the rear link ? And what device is best for popping off the balljoints without stretching / breaking the plastic arms on the sensor

Regards

Lenny

Hi Lenny,

There rear link is a right pitta, I left mine in the end as the U shape bracket is welded to the rear ARB and they are 6mm studs that the nuts are bolted on.

My bracket look abit to rusted to be messed about with, i had already snapped the studs which held the end bracket to the rear axle but lucky enough i had these drilled out and nut n bolted it back in doing so id bent the bracket which gave me the right ride height lol

More luck than judgement if im honest. The ball joints will just pop off, Id remove the whole thing and do it off the car bud if yours are not rusty.

The 8mm nuts are accessible with a 1/4 drive socket on a extension but its tight bud.

Hmmmmmmm

The last thing I want is to be left stuck - I've heard the bracket bending will lower it too!! I might check out the bracket and. Nuts / bolts first before ordering a set
Has anyone a diagram of what the rear link / sensor assembly looks like ?

Last edited:
I installed the LoMo M1 Lowering Module in my R230 which is a very nice although more expensive alternative. I assume it would work in other models, it has +/- settings front and rear independently (8 Levels) and is controlled from the steering wheel buttons.

It resets to factory height at a pre-set speed and drops again automatically once under that speed. Mine is set to 35mph.

All manufacturer/standard functions are retained and operate as normal.

Lenny, id go for the links before you start bending things mate, as they never bend back to the right position afterwards!

I have the renntech module with the remote, its a little tricky to fit but give more flexibilty.

if your after a budget solution then the links is the way to go.

Cheers for the advice Alps

For all I want it lowered links sound like a good compromise

If I could find someone this part of the country to entertain lowering on STAR thag would be my preference ....however call of he local indie's tell me it can't be done (basically they don't know how )

My understanding of using Star was that although you could adjust the height it has to be within the manufactures pre-configured range. This gives you very little to play with, its more to adjust a slight fault than to actually adjust the standard ride height.

Could be wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom