W211 New Platinum Discs and Pads fitted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSS

Car
E-320 CDI Elegance 2004, fitted with Avantgarde alloys
My 2004 W211 was needing new discs, they had been noted in the MOT last year as getting low but they said wait and have them changed with the pads. Well nearly a year later and no pad warning light on I decided they were low enough and I'd replace them.

Read through a few threads here but nobody posted any pictures of the work and also there was some difference of opinion on the SBS system, or battery or both being disconnected.

So what follows is my summary of the work that I did myself. For the record I'm an average DIY person, had just normal tools to hand and did this on the drive with the front on axle stands.

I purchased the pads and discs from Wunderpartz, Brendan was very helpful and called me to say that if I could wait a few days he had these new discs due that were plated to stop corrosion with a guarantee that if they did then new replacements would be sent FOC. Pads and sensors were also ordered, as you can see completely plated which did not require that they were covered in grease.
Disc1a.JPG

With the ignition off, pressing the foot brake could get the SBS to activate, rather than take any chances I simply took off the plug under the bonnet. One thing to point out, you will not be able to put the car in drive with the SBS disconnected. The O/S wheel was tight on the pads where the car had sat, I needed to drop the car back down to move it back & forth to free the pads off the disc. Also the plug top simply lifts up but you need to pull it high enough to disconnect fully (see picture). I cut off one of the plastic ty-raps to get more movement.
Disc2a.JPG

OK with that done, wheels off it was time to get the calliper off, this is held in with two 13mm bolts at the back. It's worth unclipping the sensor wires marked with blue arrows to give you more movement of the calliper. I use a bungee strap hooked over the suspension to hold the calliper up & out of the way. Remember to remove the wear sensor wire as well before you lift the calliper away.
Disc3a.JPG

Last edited:
Calliper off you can then get to the pads, these simply pull away from the disc being held in by metal clips at the end.
Disc4a.JPG

Next remove the pad carrier which is held in with two 18mm bolts at the back. They will be very tight I had to use the longest socket extension to get these off.
Disc5a.JPG

That out of the way you then remove the small star drive screw on the face of the disc hub. The disc at this point is free to be pulled off the hub. The first one was easy is simply pulled off the N/S needed heating up with a blow lamp and a piece of wood placed on the inside to allow me to hit it with a club hammer before it would shift.....:mad:
Disc6a.JPG

Old and new, answers on a postcard.........:dk:

Disc off its time to do it all again in reverse.
Disc7a.JPG

When fitting the bolts I used loctite on the threads, it comes in a handy tube (like pritt stick) and you simply wipe the blue loctite along the treads.

Disc8a.JPG
Carrier fitted, new pads in with the sensor attached, you can use the old ones if they have not been worn but mine were (see later in thread). Note the pads come with anti squeal shims already fitted. I didn't put any copper grease on them either so will see how they go.

Disc9a.JPG
Calliper fitted and sensor attached in this shot you can see the star drive screw on the face of the disc I mentioned earlier. The piston will need to be pushed back, I used a G clamp but make sure the brake fluid level in the reservoir is not too high, if it is you will need to take some out to prevent it spilling over.

Last edited:
So with everything connected (don't forget to clip the ABS wires back into their holders behind the calliper) refit the wheels, connect the SBC connector (sorry I called it SBS earlier) and check the brake fluid level.

Thought I'd show the picture of the old pads.
Padsa.JPG

Now my dash warning had not come on, I knew the pads were getting low as I can see through the gaps in the alloy wheels but look at how much lower the inside pad was compared the the outer one, both sides were the same. The sensor was fitted to the outside pad which seems the wrong way round to me as the inside one pulls the outer one in so must have a harder life (well the picture proves this).

I thought afterwards that I could have tried to fit the pad with sensor to the inside. As the car has always been serviced at Mercedes I simply followed what I took off but would be interested in what others have found. I keep and eye on pad wear anyway but I'd certainly check this again when the pads come up for another replacement.

So how do the new platinum discs perform, pulling away the first thing I realised is that the brakes didn't have that "new disc" feeling when tried the first few times. Must be down to the satin finish being slightly rough to the touch and helping the pads to bed in. After that they improved further with more bite and settled down within a few miles, no trauma and a final faster stop test didn't give any pull etc.

I checked the disc when I got back and you can see the plating has been removed where the pads bite with an even band all the way round.

For those wanting to know more about these discs please contact:-
Brendan Franey - Wunderpartz
[email protected]
01302 351421

They intend to get stock in direct from Germany for all the Mercedes range going back to some of the very old models.

For the record I'm not connected to Wunderpartz in anyway, I found them mentioned in another older thread and tracked them down through the web. Brendan was very helpful and the parts arrived the next day after ordering, courier was impressed carrying 21KG box down the drive....:p

Last edited:
Hi,

Well done for having a go. I think it is important that people learn how to maintain their own vehicle.

Did you replace the pad springs on the pad carrier? They must be replaced when the pads are. It is not that obvious in the pictures.

Also high temp grease must be used on the pad contact surfaces otherwise the pads will wear unevenly and possibly squeek. Copper grease is often used.

Hi, thanks for the reply, you can see them first hand soon as it's going to PCS for it's service due in about 600 miles :thumb:
Decided the time has come to move away from the MB dealer and read good things on this site from others that used you.

The clips were the original ones, I checked them over, no damage and they cleaned up, I'd of replaced them if I had some, will do next time so thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
The clips should come with the pad kit. I am suprised they didn't. If you do not replace them they can rattle and knock when the brakes are applied.

See you soon.

I've been looking at a LOT of 211 disc/pad threads lately. I've just done my own. Not one of the threads shows the same front calipers as on my S211! Which models have the fixed 4-pot calipers I have?

Buy from the main dealers, they are cheaper than you think and you will get the right ones from your Vin number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom