W211 New strut mount failed after 3 months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reamer

Car
SLK250 CDI AMG SPORT 2014
Just thought I would share this.

Having changed everything on the front with lemforder parts with the exception of the strut mounts which were corteco from ECP all was fine for three months.

Then a squeak or rubber sounding grown started from what sounded like the front near side. This would sound when going over bumpy surfaces. I had a good look but found nothing. My son thought it was the rear so I used a spray silicone grease to lube every joint in turn to see if I could pin point it. No change.

Then I jacked up the front from the centre Jack point and noticed the near side strut bolt was sunk about half an inch lower than the off side. So I sprayed grease into the gap and all was good. So I got the strut mount replaced under warranty from ECP. All is good once more. I took pictures of the failed mount and the good mount.

It might help someone else when trying to find a noisy squeak.

Failed mount.

62c2d55db2d7369f1dcf881acbae9ae2.jpg

Good mount

3af5da384f3fbe17725da00b72e6777c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These sort of mounts should always be replaced with originals from Mercedes - other brand names and months down the line you will be replacing again.

Lemforder is probably the only good after market product, the rest have limited life spans - unfortunately one has to pay for quality.

You are right. I will be replacing them with MB as soon as I can muster the enthusiasm to do it. I need a good set of Spring compressors as mine failed during restoration of the last job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom