W211 new toy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chandlerslad

Car
E240 elegance
Hi, I’m not quite new here, I popped in a few years ago when I bought a 2002 c class saloon but didn’t keep it very long and simply drifted away.
I’m back now and have bought myself a 2004 e class (w211) elegance petrol fitted with a silky smooth 2.6 V6 petrol engine.

Welcome back.

The E class is a lovely place to be and in Elegance trim should have avery quiet and comfrotable ride especially with the smooth V6 petrol. Whilst no ball of fire the M112 engine and the 722.6 transmission are well matched and are both very strong and reliable.

Do you know when the transmission fluid was last changed?

Welcome back.

The E class is a lovely place to be and in Elegance trim should have avery quiet and comfrotable ride especially with the smooth V6 petrol. Whilst no ball of fire the M112 engine and the 722.6 transmission are well matched and are both very strong and reliable.

Do you know when the transmission fluid was last changed?
Transmission was last serviced in 2017 approximately 12000 miles ago
Biggest shock was MB price for drivers mirror glass :- £322! Needless to say it got a standard £10 glass rather than the auto dim that was fitted

Welcome, nice car, had a w211 E320cdi about 3 years ago, enjoyed it, am sure you will enjoy yours

I’ve just sold a late ‘07 jag S type diesel which was the XS with the body kit as I no longer do enough miles to justify a diesel (dpf worries etc) but I’m not unduly concerned about the fuel consumption on this E240. If anything it’s slightly better on the urban cycle than the jag was. I deliberately avoided the avant-garde models with air suspension but decided early on in my search that I wanted a V6 and no kompressor. This came along having been well cared for at a reasonable price. Only annoyance is the serpentine belt tensioner is a tad noisy at the minute but all in due time.

Forgot to say. After the 18” jag tyres these 16” ones will be much easier on the wallet lol.

I’ve just sold a late ‘07 jag S type diesel which was the XS with the body kit as I no longer do enough miles to justify a diesel (dpf worries etc) but I’m not unduly concerned about the fuel consumption on this E240. If anything it’s slightly better on the urban cycle than the jag was. I deliberately avoided the avant-garde models with air suspension but decided early on in my search that I wanted a V6 and no kompressor. This came along having been well cared for at a reasonable price. Only annoyance is the serpentine belt tensioner is a tad noisy at the minute but all in due time.

The Avantgarfe had slightly lower and slighly stiffer suspension but only the Estate version had rear air suspension as standard.

The noise from the drive beltis almost certainly a tensioner or pulley, do not igonre it.

Ah, I was under the impression that saloons also had it so didn’t go to view an E320 saloon.
Regards the pulley you’re right (they never cure themselves in my experience) and I’m not about to ignore it, the month end is looming so reckoning on changing idler pulley, tensioner and belt in one session just for peace of mind.

Update
I’ve changed tensioner & idler but noise still persists
Belt was out of stock for some reason but is now here so I’m going to try that in the morning weather permitting

Alternator belt changed and still whining. Most likely culprit I reckon for some reason is the power steering pump. Also had to replace my new tensioner with the original one. 17 mm head that you use to release the tension is rounded! Been used three times in total so a big thumbs down for truck parts of Germany. I’ve always used quality sockets so it’s not the socket slipping in the head that’s caused this just poor quality metal in the casting. I had to resort to removing the pulley in order to get the belt off. Starting to dislike this car now.

edit:- no whine when running the engine with the belt removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom