W211 - NTG 1 Command with navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Hi All

Currently looking at map updates for above. Couple of questions:

1) How do I establish which map version is currently installed?
2) Do any of the more recent map updates allow full postcode entry?
3) Do any of the updates do anything else on the NTG1 unit other than the map?

check in the nav drive in the boot, eject the disk and it will have a date on it.

there is a firmware update you can do too, it may well have been done already

Just to extend previous, there was a firmware update for Model Year 2007 facelift which can be done, which adds the ability to display ETA on the map whilst navigating

There are no updates that give 7 digit postcode.

Thanks
Richard

check in the nav drive in the boot, eject the disk and it will have a date on it.

there is a firmware update you can do too, it may well have been done already

Dooohhh, what a muppet I am... When I tried the eject button a while ago the system must have been powered off, I'd assumed that the disk had been 'read in to the system' and removed. Now extracted and checked 2007/08 disc part No. A211 827 03 65 V7.

Given that the new discs don't offer full postcode (thanks to Richard @ Command online for confirmation on that) I cant see that map updated are worth anything like the asking price. Might keep my eye on ebay for something more recent (and genuine) but to be honest £25 to £30 is where I'd see these. The market may agree or disagree with me, I can only say where I am...

Your lucky my map up date is over a £100 and its only 2013-2014 model year up date. Again not worth it and i am with you why pay all that firstly without post codes and secondly with a map that is already out of date.:dk:

The latest V14 update for mine is £199 :dk:

I cant see that they sell many of these its just an outrageous price point. There must be a phenomenal mark-up profit margin in these somewhere in the distribution chain. From a business perspective you'd think they could make more money by selling a lot more and taking a smaller slice.

You either take a BIG slice out of small volumes or a small slice out of BIG volumes, the latter probably leaves you with happier customers too. Even with the profile of the average MB customer you got think that £200 spends get thought about...

Try eBay; plenty of bootleg discs on there. I gather they can damage Comand 2 and later, but as the update disc for Comand 1 is just read-only map data, there should be no problem so far as I am aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom