W211 - OM642 - Blue Smoke After Long Idle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alistairi

Car
E320 sport
Hi,

I have a 2005 E350 CDI W211 with around 140K on the clock. The car generally drives fine but I've had an ongoing issue with the car putting out white smoke after a long idle or drive in slow moving stop/start traffic. Once the car is driven hard the smoke quickly disappears, only to come back the next time I spend more than a few minutes in traffic.

I've replaced the turbo and the inlet shutoff motor and checked the seal where the air intake joins the turbo. I've also cleaned our the intecooler and the 'charge air pipe'.

I'm now stumped as to what to look at next - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

White smoke likely to be unburned diesel. Car at operating temperature? Run Star diagnostics see what comes up?

Hi,

I have a 2005 E350 CDI W211 with around 140K on the clock. The car generally drives fine but I've had an ongoing issue with the car putting out white smoke after a long idle or drive in slow moving stop/start traffic. Once the car is driven hard the smoke quickly disappears, only to come back the next time I spend more than a few minutes in traffic.

I've replaced the turbo and the inlet shutoff motor and checked the seal where the air intake joins the turbo. I've also cleaned our the intecooler and the 'charge air pipe'.

I'm now stumped as to what to look at next - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

What and where is the charge air pipe?

Charge pipe is the aluminium one that come out of turbo and into intercooler the out and into inlet.
Thanks and does this fill with oil? Only asking is that I've just changed by v ribbed drive belt and have disconnected the black pipe from the charge pipe and was gonna refit tomorrow but whilst I have it dismantled I could take charge pipe off too if needs must

Your title says blus Smoke but the text says white.

The cause would normally be different, which is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom