W211 - OM642 - V6 3L Engione Oil Consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
I know all engines are different but whats the feeling on average oil consumption on these units?

All opinion/comment welcome.

Ditto the above response, my '09 uses no oil between service intervals

Agreed, in 50,000 miles of driving I've never needed to add any oil to mine.

The answers are exaggerated as all engines are designed to use oil!

According to my MB handbook the OM642 is designed to use a maximum depending how you drive 0.8 litres per 1000km.

That breaks down to 1/3rd of a cup to 621 miles.

OK.....so your not all telling lies just twisting the answer around as the amount of oil from maximum mark to minimum mark is 2 litres. So therefore you don`t have to add any oil between changes. But that is not answering the Op`s question!

I keep my level to just under the max. mark and check it every week.

I get my oil changed every 5000 and i add around 1 full cup for those miles
and i use my engine to the full as soon as i can, certainly no loitering.

Well i use a mercedes s class with this engine in, and i can definitely tell you my dipstick does not change at all, i change the oil every 10,000 miles.

That quote does not mean anything.

Depends what oil you use also how you drive?

Since changing to MB oil i haven`t added any so far which does prove the oil spec. does change consumption.

I think ive used 1/2litre - 1 litre in the last 6000miles. I dont see that as excessive personally

In my experience it doesn't use very much at all. I have done 10000 miles in mine and it has never asked for a top up.

My previous car was an E90 325i and i had to add 2 litres during the 6000 miles i had it.

KeithJG said:
That quote does not mean anything.

Yes it does, it means he doesn't have to add any oil between servicing which, on his car is accomplished at 10000 mile intervals.

Likewise I don't add oil between services either. I'm sure our driving styles differ, I can only speak for myself when I say most of my miles are motorway, but like you, I don't hang around.

The fact yours uses a small amount of oil, in accordance and in the tolerance of the manufacturers specification is just as fine.

The OPS last sentence did say ALL comments/feedback welcome.

Zero oil consumption is technically impossible but consumption can be so low that it's not easily perceived on the dipstick. I've had many cars that showed little or no perceptible level change and consider that's how it should be. A manufacturers permissible consumption rate of 0.8 L/1000Km is just nonsense. Considering it's the whole volume of the sump between service intervals, I'd be seriously concerned if an engine consumed oil at that rate.

2 x 320 Cdi. Run them just below max on the dipstick and have topped up both with half a litre between services.

2003 I6 e320 cdi here, and i dont see any consumption on my measuring stick between Oil changes, but i do carry these out every 3,000 miles along with a fuel filter change.

Those of you with diesels who are reporting no level change on the dipstick between services do realise that the oil is probably being diluted with fuel, don't you? :)

And if MB say that acceptable oil loss is up to 0.8l per 1000kms, then if no change were noted on the dipstick, due oil replaced by fuel, then after a thousand miles, through until the next oil change, an engines oil could comprise a litre of fuel, and potentially increase thereafter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom